tee for Construction for the state of California. He chaired a United States Scientific Advisory Committee from 1966 to 1968. From 1969 to 1970 he chaired a United States Special Committee to study the M551 tank. From 1970 to 1972 he served on the United States Scientific Advisory Committee to the Secretary of Defense. From 1970 to 1976 he served on the United States Construction Safety Advisory Committee to the Secretary of Labor.
Ed also contributed time and resources to society. He served on the board of trustees of Bradley University from 1956 until 1988 and again from 1989 to 1994. He was vice-chairman of the board in 1979. In 1990 he and his wife received the Bradley University President's Award. The Burks Design Center in Jobst Hall at Bradley University was named in his honor in 1993. He served as adjunct professor of senior engineering students. The G.E. Burks Religious Studies Scholarship was established in his honor. His philanthropic gifts to Bradley University total more than $330,000 from 1971 through 1994. Other philanthropic interests included WCBU public radio, the Bradley University Chiefs Club, Boy Scouts of America, and Westminster Presbyterian Church.