Capacity to support dissemination and generalization within countries.
Support for these projects should be provided by a wide range of international and local organizations, including the World Health Organization Nations for Mental Health Initiative; the World Bank; the U.S. National Institute of Mental Health; government development agencies; national ministries of health, education, welfare, and finance; and international and local professional and patient advocacy organizations.
1. N. Husain, F. Creed, and B. Tomenson. Depression and social stress in Pakistan. Psychological Medicine Mar;30(2):395–402, 2000.
2. K.S. Kendler, M.D. Karkowski, and C.A. Prescott. Causal Relationship Between Stressful Life Events and the Onset of Major Depression. American Journal of Psychiatry Jun;156:6:837–841, 1999.
3. A. Bertelsen, B. Harvald, and M Gauge. A Danish Twin Study of manic depressive disorders. British Journal of Psychiatry 130:330–351, 1997
4. J. Heinik, P. Werner, A. Mendel, B. Raikher, and A. Bleich. The Cambridge Cognitive Examination (CAMCOG): Validation of the Hebrew version in elderly demented patients. International Journal of Geriatrics Psychiatry Dec;14(120:1006–1013, 1999.
5. A.K. Lehman, B. Ellis, J. Becker, I. Rosenfarb, R. Devine, A. Khan, et al. Personality and depression: A validation study of the depressive experiences questionnaire. Journal of Personality Assessment Feb;68(1):197–210, 1997.
6. V. Patel, J. Pereira, L. Coutinho, and R. Fernandes. Is labeling of common mental disorders as psychiatric illness useful in primary care? Indian Journal of Psychology 39:239–246, 1997.
7. American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (DSM-IV), APA, Washington, D.C., 1994.
8. World Health Organization. The ICD-10 Classification of mental and behavioural disorders: diagnostic criteria for research. Geneva: WHO, 1993.
9. A. Sarin. Depression. The National Medical Journal of India 10(2):77–79, 1997.
10. T. Sivik, N. Delimar, and R. Schoenfeld. Construct validity of the Sivik Psychosomaticism Test and test of operational style: Correlations with four Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI) subscales. Intergration of Physiology and Behaviorial Science Apr–Jun;34(2):79–84, 1999.
11. V. Patel and C. H. Todd. The validity of the Shona version of the Self Report Questionnaire (SRQ) and the development of the SRQ8. International Journal Methods of Psychiatric Research 6:153–160, 1996.
12. V. Patel. The epidemiology of mental disorders in South Asia. National Institute of Mental Health and Neurological Sciences Journal (in press), 2000.
13. M. Nichter. Idioms of distress: Alternatives in the expresion of psychosocial distress: A case study from South India. Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry Dec;5(4):379–408, 1981.