The following HTML text is provided to enhance online
readability. Many aspects of typography translate only awkwardly to HTML.
Please use the page image
as the authoritative form to ensure accuracy.
Scientific and Medical of Aspects: Human Reproductive Cloning
amount of material and the short period available for preimplantation diagnosis.
4-5. ART procedures have been minimally regulated in the United States, and the lack of regulation has resulted in a shortage of data pertaining to experimental ART procedures and the number of eggs obtained, embryos donated for research, and the studies for which they were used.
4-6. Certification of clinics could allow greater control over any new ART procedures. The United Kingdom might be a model for certifying ART clinics, although the terms of the legislation would have to be adapted to the US federal style of government.
2. VANDERVORS M, STAESSEN C, SERMON K, DE VOS A, VAN DE VELDE H, VAN ASSCHE E, BONDUELLE M, VANDERFAELLIE A, LISSENS W, TOURNAYE H, DEVROEY P, VAN STEIRTEGHEM A, LIEBAERS I. The Brussels’ experience of more than 5 years of clinical preimplantation genetic diagnosis.Hum Reprod Update 2000 Jul-2000 Aug 31, 6(4):364-73.
3. Assisted reproductive technology in the United States and Canada: 1994 results generated from the American Society for Reproductive Medicine/Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology Registry.Fertil Steril 1996 Nov, 66(5):697-705.
4. CUNNINGHAM FG, MACDONALD P, GANT N, LEVENO KJ, GILSTRAP LC, HANKINS G, CLARK S: Williams Obstetrics. 20th Edition. McGraw-Hill; 1997:583.
5. LUNENFELD B, INSLER V. Classification of amenorrhoeic states and their treatment by ovulation induction.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1974 Apr, 3(2):223-37.
6. NAVOT D, RELOU A, BIRKENFELD A, RABINOWITZ R, BRZEZINSKI A, MARGALIOTH EJ. Risk factors and prognostic variables in the ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome.Am J Obstet Gynecol 1988 Jul, 159(1):210-5.
7. TROUNSON AO, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia. Directed differentiation of embryonic stem cells and somatic cell nuclear transfer.Scientific and medical aspects of human cloning. National Academy of Sciences, Washington, D.C., 2001 Aug 7. Online at: www.nationalacademies.org/humancloning
8. GARDNER DK, LANE M, SCHOOLCRAFT WB. Culture and transfer of viable blastocysts: a feasible proposition for human IVF.Hum Reprod 2000 Dec, 15 Suppl 6:9-23.
9. TESARIK J, SOUSA M, GRECO E, MENDOZA C. Spermatids as gametes: Indications and limitations.Hum Reprod 1998 Jun, 13 Suppl 3:89-107; discussion 108-11.
10. FEIL R. Early-embryonic culture and manipulation could affect genomic imprinting.Trends Mol Med 2001 Jun, 7(6):245-6.
11. ARIEL M, CEDAR H, MCCARREY J. Developmental changes in methylation of spermatogenesis-specific genes include reprogramming in the epididymis.Nat Genet 1994 May, 7(1):59-63.