The following HTML text is provided to enhance online
readability. Many aspects of typography translate only awkwardly to HTML.
Please use the page image
as the authoritative form to ensure accuracy.
The 2000 Census: Counting Under Adversity
telephone interviewing included occupied households for which a census questionnaire (either a mail or an enumerator-obtained return) had been captured that included a telephone number, had a city-style address, and was either a single-family home or in a large multiunit structure. Units in small multiunit structures or with no house number or street name on the address were not eligible for telephone interviewing. Telephone interviewing began on April 23, 2000, and continued through June 11. Fully 29 percent of the P-sample household interviews were obtained by telephone, a higher percentage than expected.
Interviewing began in the field the week of June 18, using laptop computers. Interviewers were to ascertain who lived at the address currently and who had lived there on Census Day, April 1. The computerized interview—an innovation for 2000—was intended to reduce interviewer variance and to speed up data capture and processing by having interviewers send their completed interviews each evening over secure telephone lines to the Bureau’s main computer center, in Bowie, Maryland.
For the first 3 weeks, interviewers were instructed to speak only with a household resident; after then, they could obtain a proxy interview from a nonhousehold member, such as a neighbor or landlord. (Most outmover interviews were by proxy.) During the last two weeks of interviewing, the best interviewers were sent to the remaining nonrespondents to try to obtain an interview with a household member or proxy. Of all P-sample interviewing, 99 percent was completed by August 6; the remaining 1 percent of interviews were obtained by September 10 (Farber, 2001b:Table 4.1).
E.3INITIAL MATCHING AND TARGETED EXTENDED SEARCH
After the P-sample interviews were completed, census records for households in the E-sample block clusters were drawn from the census unedited file; census enumerations in group quarters (e.g., college dormitories, nursing homes) were not part of the E-sample. Also excluded from the E-sample were people with insufficient information (IIs), as they could not be matched, and late additions to the census whose records were not available in time for matching. People with insufficient data lacked reported information for at