25. In lines 561-563, SSTs and NMAT have different trends for short periods owing to ENSO and changes in surface fluxes, as shown in other works.
26. In lines 568-570, these differences might be related to an increase in mean ship height above the sea surface.
27. While the explanation in lines 589-591 sounds plausible, has it ever actually been shown? Are the free tropospheric temperatures more highly correlated with maximum surface temperatures than with minimum temperatures? If there is not a published reference on this, then should be removed.
28. In lines 600-601, it is not clear whether this relative change in trend in the troposphere and surface is statistically significant in the recent era. Visually, it does not seem that impressive or obvious.
29. The comparison the authors make in lines 627-629 is equivalent to assuming that the Maryland stratospheric trend is the same as that in the other two datasets (since the Fu et al. approach is just to fit to a regression model).
30. In lines 655-656, “TLow-Strat-A” and “TLow-Strat-B” need definitions.
31. In lines 656-657, why is the cooling at the South Pole not more dramatic, especially given known problems over sea ice (Swanson, 2003) and the high ice sheet of Antarctica that greatly impacts channel 2? In fact, it looks like the cooling is larger in the northern hemisphere midlatitudes.
32. Replace “Soviet stations” in line 672 with “stations located in Russia and other countries of the former Soviet Union”.
33. The word “granularity” should be replaced in line 693.
34. In line 696, replace “noisy patterns that result” with “noise that results”.
35. The figure labeling (a, b, c and d) in line 704 is incorrect.
36. No mention is made of the Antarctic in line 713.
37. In lines 722-724, the sharp contrasts only seem to be around the western coasts of the Americas.
38. The unit for a lapse rate trend looks wrong in line 823. Surely it should be K km−1 decade−1 or something with the same dimensions.
39. Are there missing crosses for the surface in Figure 6.2b, or do they all overlap?