40. Stevenson RC, Pharoah PO, Stevenson CJ, McCabe CJ, Cooke RW. Cost of care for a geographically determined population of low birthweight infants to age 8-9 years. II. Children with disability. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonat Ed. 1996 Mar;74(2):F118–F121.
41. Thomson Medstat. The Cost of Prematurity to U.S. Employers. http://www.marchofdimes.com/prematurity/15341_15349.asp : March of Dimes; 2004.
42. Imershein AW, Turner C, Wells JG, Pearman A. Covering the costs of care in neonatal intensive care units. Pediatrics. 1992 Jan;89(1):56–61.
43. Long SH, Marquis MS, Harrison ER. The costs and financing of perinatal care in the United States. Am J Public Health. 1994 Sep;84(9):1473–1478.
44. March of Dimes. Impact on Business. http://www.marchofdimes.com/prematurity/15341_15349.asp: March of Dimes; 2005.
45. Hack M, Youngstrom EA, Cartar L, Schluchter M, Taylor HG, Flannery D, et al. Behavioral outcomes and evidence of psychopathology among very low birth weight infants at age 20 years. Pediatrics. 2004 Oct;114(4):932–940.
46. Saigal S, Pinelli J, Hoult L, Kim MM, Boyle M. Psychopathology and social competencies of adolescents who were extremely low birth weight. Pediatrics. 2003 May;111(5 Pt 1):969–975.
47. Darmstadt GL, Bhutta ZA, Cousens S, Adam T, Walker N, de Bernis L. Evidence-based, cost-effective interventions: how many newborn babies can we save? Lancet. 2005 Mar 12-18;365(9463):977–988.
48. Leader S, Yang H, DeVincenzo J, Jacobson P, Marcin JP, Murray DL. Time and out-of-pocket costs associated with respiratory syncytial virus hospitalization of infants. Value Health. 2003 Mar-Apr;6(2):100–106.
49. Stang P, Brandenburg N, Carter B. The economic burden of respiratory syncytial virusassociated bronchiolitis hospitalizations. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2001 Jan;155(1): 95–96.
50. Waitzman NJ, Romano PS, Scheffler RM. Estimates of the economic costs of birth defects. Inquiry. 1994 Summer;31(2):188–205.
51. Greenough A, Alexander J, Burgess S, Bytham J, Chetcuti PA, Hagan J, et al. Health care utilisation of prematurely born, preschool children related to hospitalisation for RSV infection. Arch Dis Child. 2004 Jul;89(7):673–678.
52. Greenough A, Cox S, Alexander J, Lenney W, Turnbull F, Burgess S, et al. Health care utilisation of infants with chronic lung disease, related to hospitalisation for RSV infection. Arch Dis Child. 2001 Dec;85(6):463–468.
53. Clemens K, Avadi F, Wilber N, Barfield WD. The cost of prematurity: birth to age three early intervention costs [abstract]. Pediatr Res., in press.