The methods (including data collection and analysis) used to undertake the scope of work will be developed through the committee convened by the IOM.
• The committee will place greater priority on the depth of the analyses and recommendations as opposed to a broader array of less detailed analyses and recommendations.
• End-of-life care, is of lesser priority for this study, as it has received other attention in recent IOM reports, and includes additional issues that are beyond the resources of this study.
• A workplan will be developed by the committee at its first meeting.
Task 1 Review previous IOM and other report recommendations on this issue, including
• AHRQ evidence-based practice reports.
• DHHS (Department of Health and Human Services). 2003. Achieving the promise: Transforming mental health care in America. New Freedom Commission on Mental Health Final Report. DHHS Publication No. SMA-03-3832. Rockville, MD: DHHS.
• Holland, J. C., B. Andersen, M. Booth-Jones, et al. NCCN distress management clinical practice guidelines in oncology. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network 1:344–374.
• IOM (Institute of Medicine). 2000. Bridging disciplines in the brain, behavioral, and clinical sciences. Edited by T. C. Pellmar and L. Eisenberg. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
• IOM. 2001. Crossing the quality chasm: A new health system for the 21st century. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
• IOM and NRC (National Research Council). 2001. Improving palliative care for cancer. Edited by K. M. Foley and H. Gelband. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
• IOM and NRC. 2003. Childhood cancer survivorship: Improving care and quality of life. Edited by M. Hewitt, S. L. Weiner, and J. V. Simone. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
• IOM and NRC. 2004. Meeting psychosocial needs of women with breast cancer. Edited by M. Hewitt, R. Herdman, and J. Holland. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
• National Breast Cancer Centre and National Cancer Control Initiative. 2003. Australian clinical practice guidelines for the