psychosocial care of adults with cancer. http://www.nhmrc.govau/publications/cphome.htm.
• The National Institutes of Health (NIH) State-of-the-Science Conference on Symptom Management in Cancer: Pain, Depression and Fatigue. Monographs Journal of the National Cancer Institute, No. 32, 2004 (especially the Panel’s summary findings, pp. 9–13).
• NIH State-of-the-science conference on improving end-of-life care, December 6–8, 2004. http://consensus.nih.gov/ta/024/024EndOfLifepostconfINTRO.htm.
• Other mental health reports, e.g.,
– Interpreting the volume-outcome relationship in the context of cancer care (IOM, 2001).
– Enhancing data systems to improve the quality of cancer care (IOM, 2000).
– Assessing the quality of cancer care: An approach to measurement in Georgia (IOM, 2005).
Task 2 Through interviews and testimony to the committee, determine why the recommendations contained in prior reports were not implemented, and possible ways to address barriers to care. Interviews and testimony will be sought, for example, from cancer survivors; mental health patients with chronic disease; family members; managed care organizations, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services; spiritual leaders/clergy; employers; specialty provider groups such as the American College of Surgeons; health care payers/insurers; advocates (cancer and mental health); peer outreach agencies; community delivery agencies; state health commissioners; and oncology providers.
Interviews and testimony to the Committee about why recommendations contained in the prior reports were not implemented will be secured both prior to the first meeting and during the time period encompassed by the first three committee meetings.
Task 3 Using case histories, key informant studies of providers and patients, or other means, document the
• types of services needed/provided
• availability and use
• who is using services and how they access them
• what they are told/given as condition evolves (flow of care)
• provider capacity
• how services are paid for in various community settings
A strategy for implementing this task will be developed by the Committee