professor be appointed. This new professor was Hans Kramers, who at the time was only 30 years old and had but one publication to his name.
Hans readily took up this tremendous challenge. He took upon himself the development of “engineering physics” (applied transport phenomena, chemical-reactor operation, and process control), and the original work he and his students performed resulted in many publications that are still recognized as classics. The experimental set-ups in the laboratory were often homemade and cleverly designed, and the students genuinely enjoyed their work.
Hans was an inspiring teacher who always tried to bring out the best in his students. Although he could be critical and demanding, he knew how to couple his criticisms with a friendly smile and a twinkle in his eye. He supervised 160 students through their engineering degrees and directed the Ph.D. theses of 15 students. Hans and his students published about 70 scholarly papers, mostly in chemical engineering journals. Although the number of publications per year was modest, their quality was high, because Hans was reluctant to publish anything that was not really new.
Besides his contributions to research, Hans’s effectiveness as a teacher was demonstrated by the number of prominent positions in research, engineering, and management held by his former students in the Dutch (and very international) chemical industry during the second half of the twentieth century. Ten of his former students became university professors; thus, part of his legacy is the continuing education of outstanding engineers in the Netherlands.
During his Delft period, Hans prepared a set of mimeographed lecture notes called Physische Transportverschijnselen (1956), the first attempt to teach the subject of transport phenomena and its applications to chemical engineering. In addition, he coauthored, with K.R. Westerterp, Elements of Chemical Reactor Design and Operation (Netherlands University Press, 1963). He also spent the first half of 1955 as a visiting professor at the University of Minnesota.
In the fall of 1957, the University of Wisconsin began teach-