FIGURE 7-5 The number of patients infected with HIV and coinfected with HIV and M.tb. in Russia’s penal institutions has risen since 2004.
SOURCE: Safonova, 2010.
The Russian penitentiary service has several priorities, said Safonova:
- early diagnosis of TB through x-ray and microbiological investigation,
- continued development of the prison service’s laboratories and bacteriological investigation of all categories of TB patients,
- internal and external quality control of laboratories,
- continued development of the expertise of medical staff and provision of training, and
- continuing international cooperation.