Priorities for Health Disparities Research
• More—and better—research on the social determinants of health disparities
• More intervention research (based on promising hypotheses)—understanding pathways is not sufficient
• Multilevel, critical mass, studied longitudinally
• More translational research
• How to inform the public about health disparities
• How to get them to care
• How to create political will
SOURCE: Braveman (2010).
FIGURE 6-1 Income is linked with health regardless of racial or ethnic group. Differences in health status by income do not simply reflect differences by race or ethnicity; differences in health can be seen within each racial or ethnic group. Both income and racial or ethnic group matter.
SOURCE: RWJF (2009). Prepared for the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation by the Center on Social Disparities in Health at the University of California, San Francisco. © 2008 Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. www.commissiononhealth.org.