• Continue ACR dose index registry efforts and expand them to include additional modalities (e.g., nuclear medicine, computed radiography and digital radiography, interventional radiology) and other sites, particularly outpatient facilities.
• Within each institution, routinely report dose metrics performance with benchmarks.
• Create or use existing committees within institutions and outside facilities to ensure that imaging protocols are being followed; create routine reports for this purpose for technologists and radiologists.
• Work with industry and information technology vendors to incorporate dose metrics directly into medical records; ensure that dose metric information is attached to images.
• Encourage the performance of national-level clinical trials that quantify the benefits of imaging exams.
• Implement informed decision support systems at all stages of patient care to optimize procedure use and ensure that only appropriate examinations are performed.
• Have institutions and ambulatory settings implement or continue to implement comprehensive safety programs and educational tools promoting awareness of radiation doses.
The above mentioned points do not represent a consensus of the workshop participants or the authoring committee. Instead, they represent some of the important points made by individual participants during the workshop.