- for acute and chronic diseases by March 2012 and 10 outcome measurements for primary and preventive care by March 2013.
- Establishes the Medicaid Quality Measurement Program, which requires state Medicaid plans to report on state-specific health quality measures, as determined by the HHS Secretary, and requires the HHS Secretary to test, validate, and develop the quality measures, and to publish annual recommendations on changes to the core set of measures. The ACA appropriates $60 million per year for fiscal years 2010 through 2014 to the Medicaid Quality Measurement Program for a total appropriation of $300 million.
- Creates a quality measures reporting system for long-term care hospitals, inpatient rehabilitation facilities, cancer hospitals, and hospice programs.
- Creates an Interagency Working Group on Health Care Quality to coordinate quality activities across 23 federal departments.
- Creates a website, HealthCare.gov, to educate consumers about the Affordable Care Act, including insurance coverage options and information on health care quality and preventive care.
Comparative Effectiveness Research
- Establishes the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute, a nonprofit Board consisting of the directors of AHRQ and NIH, as well as 19 members appointed by the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO), that will conduct research comparing the clinical effectiveness and appropriateness of medical treatments and procedures. The Institute’s research is aimed to assist patients, providers, purchasers, and policy makers in making informed health decisions.
- Directs the HHS Secretary to make standardized extracts of Medicare claims data available to qualified entities, as determined by the HHS Secretary, for analysis of provider and supplier performance on quality, efficiency, and effectiveness. Qualified entities must release their evaluations to the public, and reports must include descriptions of the metrics used.
- Establishes the Community-Based Care Transitions Program to improve home-based chronic care management for Medicare beneficiaries with multiple chronic conditions.