(b) Establishment of the Cures Acceleration Network.—Subject to the appropriation of funds as described in subsection (g), there is established within the Center a program to be known as the Cures Acceleration Network (referred to in this section as ‘CAN’), which shall--
(1) be under the direction of the Director of the Center, taking into account the recommendations of a CAN Review Board (referred to in this section as the ‘Board’), described in subsection (d); and
(2) award grants and contracts to eligible entities, as described in subsection (e), to accelerate the development of high need cures, including through the development of medical products and behavioral therapies.
(c) Functions- The functions of the CAN are to--
(1) conduct and support revolutionary advances in basic research, translating scientific discoveries from bench to bedside;
(2) award grants and contracts to eligible entities to accelerate the development of high need cures;
(3) provide the resources necessary for government agencies, independent investigators, research organizations, biotechnology companies, academic research institutions, and other entities to develop high need cures;
(4) reduce the barriers between laboratory discoveries and clinical trials for new therapies; and
(5) facilitate review in the Food and Drug Administration for the high need cures funded by the
CAN, through activities that may include--
(A) the facilitation of regular and ongoing communication with the Food and Drug Administration regarding the status of activities conducted under this section;
(B) ensuring that such activities are coordinated with the approval requirements of the Food and Drug Administration, with the goal of expediting the development and approval of countermeasures and products; and
(C) connecting interested persons with additional technical assistance made available under section 565 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.
(d) CAN Board-
(1) ESTABLISHMENT- There is established a Cures Acceleration Network Review Board (referred to in this section as the ‘Board’), which shall advise the Director of the Center on the conduct of the activities of the Cures Acceleration Network.