• If pregnant, take an iron supplement, as recommended by an obstetrician or other health care provider.
Individuals aged 50 and older should
• Consume foods fortified with vitamin B12, such as fortified cereals, or dietary supplements.
Building a Healthy Eating Pattern
• Select an eating pattern that meets nutrient needs over time at an appropriate calorie level.
• Account for all foods and beverages consumed and assess how they fit within a total healthy eating pattern.
• Follow food safety recommendations when preparing and eating foods to reduce the risk of foodborne illness.
USDA and HHS (U.S. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services). 2010. Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. 7th ed. Washington, DC: Government Printing Office. http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2010.asp (accessed June 11, 2012).