The following HTML text is provided to enhance online
readability. Many aspects of typography translate only awkwardly to HTML.
Please use the page image
as the authoritative form to ensure accuracy.
5. Resources are limited (There is disagreement as to how limited, that is, how much the United States is willing or able to devote to health.)
6. Utilization management highlights the quality and cost debate in health care.
7. There are potential dangers in utilization management by third parties.
8. Utilization management does not seem to influence physician practices. (There is disagreement on how, why, and if it is good or bad.)
9. Utilization management needs physician involvement. (There is disagreement on the type and amount of physician involvement.)
10. Current utilization management programs do little or nothing in the areas of outpatient and office practice and/or monitoring for underservice.