Click for next page ( 12


The National Academies | 500 Fifth St. N.W. | Washington, D.C. 20001
Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use and Privacy Statement



Below are the first 10 and last 10 pages of uncorrected machine-read text (when available) of this chapter, followed by the top 30 algorithmically extracted key phrases from the chapter as a whole.
Intended to provide our own search engines and external engines with highly rich, chapter-representative searchable text on the opening pages of each chapter. Because it is UNCORRECTED material, please consider the following text as a useful but insufficient proxy for the authoritative book pages.

Do not use for reproduction, copying, pasting, or reading; exclusively for search engines.

OCR for page 11
12 CHAPTER THREE SURVEY OF AIRPORTS REGARDING NOISE OUTSIDE DNL 65 SURVEY METHODOLOGY remaining 20 from throughout the country. Figure 1 depicts the locations of respondents. An online program was used to survey airports regarding noise outside DNL 65. The survey was developed in collab- Eighteen of the 35 airports surveyed (53%) had more oration with the Project Panel, and was designed primarily than 250,000 annual operations, 29% had 100,000 to 250,000 to identify the reasons airports have addressed noise outside annual operations, and 6% had less than 50,000 annual oper- DNL 65, and the range of noise abatement, mitigation, and ations. Furthermore, 44% of the respondents work for an air- communication techniques used to address noise outside port commission or authority, 27% work for a local govern- DNL 65. The survey is reproduced in Appendix A. ment, and 24% work for an airport management agency. A majority of the survey respondents have more than 15 years The survey was directed at targeted airports, which were experience. identified through a review of FAA Part 150 records of approval and with the Project Panel's advice. The targets The survey included five general questions regarding noise included a range of airport sizes and geographic locations. issues outside DNL 65. The responses to these questions are Potential survey recipients were identified by the consultant instructive: and Project Panel, based on some knowledge of noise issues at subject airports. In addition, the survey was announced in A majority of respondents (83%) indicated that noise trade publications ("Airport Input Sought for ACRP Study issues outside DNL 65 were "important," "very impor- of Noise Programs Going Outside DNL 65" 2007). Messages tant," or "critical" to their airport. The remaining 17% were distributed directly from the online survey program and reminders were also personally provided to target airports. stated that noise issues outside DNL 65 were "somewhat These messages provided a short background on the ACRP important," or "not at all important." program and reiterated the purpose and importance of this The most frequently listed method of minimizing noise study. As a result, the pool of respondents does not neces- outside DNL 65 was aircraft operator education and out- sarily reflect average opinion on the subject of noise outside reach (74% of respondents), followed by noise abatement DNL 65; it does, however, represent a diverse sample of air- flight tracks (69%), preferential runway use programs ports in terms of size and geography. (66%), noise abatement departure or arrival procedures (60%), and ground noise control (51%). Of the 43 airports targeted, 35 responded for an 81% Eighty percent of respondents indicated that "commu- response rate. Multiple choice questions regarding outreach nity concerns" were the motivation for addressing noise tools, noise metrics, and noise abatement procedures allowed outside DNL 65; 57% also indicated that "preventive airports to check all options that applied; therefore, responses planning" was a motivation. to some questions could total more than 100%. Appendix B Almost three-quarters of respondents (74%) indicated contains the statistical summary of the survey results, as well that more than 75% of their airport's noise complaints as responses to open-ended questions including all written come from people who live outside DNL 65. comments provided by respondents. The most common outreach tools to communicate with people exposed to noise outside DNL 65 are websites OVERALL SURVEY RESULTS (74%), community meetings/forums (74%), online track- ing (40%), and newsletters (40%). There were 35 total respondents to the synthesis survey. Of the 35 respondents, 7 were from California, 8 from Florida and the

OCR for page 11
13 FIGURE 1 Location of survey respondents.