The following HTML text is provided to enhance online
readability. Many aspects of typography translate only awkwardly to HTML.
Please use the page image
as the authoritative form to ensure accuracy.
The Second Fifty Years: Promoting Health and Preventing Disability
6. Christiansen, J., Eric, J., Kennedy, T. E., et al. Hearing problems and the elderly. Danish Medical Bulletin 1986; 33:1-22.
7. Cooper, A. F. Deafness and psychiatric illness. British Journal of Psychiatry 1976; 129:216-226.
8. Cooper, A. F., and Curry, A. R. The pathology of deafness in the paranoid and affective psychoses. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 1976; 20(2):97-105.
9. Cooper, A. F., Curry, A. R., Kay, D. W. K., et al. Hearing loss in paranoid and affective psychoses of the elderly. Lancet 1974; 2(7885):851-854.
10. Cooper, A. F., and Porter, R. Visual acuity and ocular pathology in the paranoid and affective psychoses of later life. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 1976; 20:107-114.
11. Corbin, S., Reed, M., Nobbs, H., et al. Hearing assessment in homes for the aged: A comparison of audiometric and self-report methods. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 1984; 32:396-400.
12. Eastwood, M. R., Corbin, S. L., Reed, M., et al. Acquired hearing loss and psychiatric illness: An estimate of prevalence and co-morbidity in a geriatric setting. British Journal of Psychiatry 1985; 147:552-556.
13. Elam, J. T., Graney, M. J., and Applegate, W. B. Functional outcome one year following cataract surgery in elderly persons. Journal of Gerontology 1988; 43:M122-M126.
14. Felson, D., Anderson, J., Hannan, M., et al. Impaired vision and hip fracture: The Framingham Study. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 1989; 37:495-500.
15. Ferris, F. L. Senile macular degeneration: Review of epidemiologic features. American Journal of Epidemiology 1983; 118:132-149.
16. Ghafour, M. M., Allan, D., and Foulds, W. S. Common causes of blindness and visual handicap in the rest of Scotland. British Journal of Ophthalmology 1983; 67:209-213.
17. Gilad, O., and Glorig, A. Presbycusis: The aging ear, Part I. Journal of the American Auditory Society 1979; 4:195-217.
18. Gilhome-Herbst, K., and Humphrey, C. Hearing impairment and mental state in the elderly living at home. British Medical Journal 1980; 281:903-905.
19. Gilhome-Herbst, K., and Humphrey, C. Prevalence of hearing impairment in the elderly living at home. Journal of the Royal College of General Practitioners 1981; 31:155-160.
20. Gluck, M. E., Wagner, J. L., and Duffy, B. M. The Use of Preventive Services by the Elderly. Washington, D.C.: Health Program, Office of Technology Assessment, Congress of the United States, January 1989.
21. Gurland, B., Kuriansky, J., Sharpe, L., Simon, R., Stiller, P., and Birkett, P. The Comprehensive Assessment and Referral Evaluation (CARE)—Rationale, development and reliability. International Journal of Aging and Human Development 1977-1978; 8(1)9-42.
22. Hart, W. M., and Becker, B. The onset of evolution of glaucomatous visual field defects. Ophthalmology 1982; 89:268-279.
23. Havlik, R. J. Aging in the eighties: Impaired senses for sound and light in persons age 65 years and over. Preliminary data from the supplement on aging to the National Health Interview Survey: United States, January-June 1984. DHHS Publ. No. (PHS)86-1250. Advance data from Vital and Health Statistics of the National Center for Health Statistics, No. 125, September 19, 1986.