The following HTML text is provided to enhance online
readability. Many aspects of typography translate only awkwardly to HTML.
Please use the page image
as the authoritative form to ensure accuracy.
The Second Fifty Years: Promoting Health and Preventing Disability
7. Fielding, J. E. Medical progress: Smoking. Health effects and control, Part I. New England Journal of Medicine 1985; 313(8):491-498.
8. Fielding, J. E. Medical progress: Smoking. Health effects and control, Part II. New England Journal of Medicine 1985; 313(9):555-561.
9. Gersh, B. J., Kronmal, R. A., Frye, R. L., Schaff, H. V., Ryan, T. J., Gosselin, A. J., Kaiser, G. C., and Killip, T. Coronary artery and coronary artery bypass surgery: Morbidity and mortality in patients ages 65 and older. A report from the Coronary Artery Surgery Study. Circulation 1983; 67:483-491.
10. Gordon, T., Kannel, W. B., Dawber, T. R., and McGee, D. Changes associated with quitting cigarette smoking: The Framingham study. American Heart Journal 1975; 90:322-328.
11. Health Consequences of Smoking. Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease: A Report of the Surgeon General. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, 1984.
12. Healthy People: The Surgeon General's Report on Health Promotion and Disease Prevention. Publ. No. 79-55071A. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare, Public Health Service, 1979.
13. Hermanson, B., Omenn, G. S., Kronmal, R. A., and Gersh, B. J. Beneficial six-year outcome of smoking cessation in older men and women with coronary artery disease. New England Journal of Medicine 1988; 319:1365-1369.
14. Himmelmann, A., Hansson, L., Svensson, A., Harmsen, P., Holmgren, C., and Svanborg, A. Predictors of stroke in the elderly. Acta Medica Scandinavia 1988; 224:439-443.
15. Jajich, C. L., Ostfeld, A. M., and Freeman, D. H., Jr. Smoking and coronary heart disease mortality in the elderly. Journal of the American Medical Association 1984; 252:2831-2834.
16. Khaw, K. T., Barrett-Connor, E., Suarez, L., and Criqui, M. H. Predictors of stroke-associated mortality in the elderly. Stroke 1984; 15:244-248.
17. McKeown, T., and Lowe, C. R. An Introduction to Social Medicine, 2nd ed. London: Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford University Press, 1966.
18. Multiple risk factor intervention trial: Risk factor changes in mortality results. Journal of the American Medical Association 1982; 248:1465-1477.
19. Ockene, J. K., Quirk, M. E., Goldberg, R. J., et al. A residents' training program for the development of smoking intervention skills. Archives of Internal Medicine 1988; 148:1039-1045.
20. Orleans, C. T. Understanding and promoting smoking cessation: Overview and guidelines for physician intervention. Annual Review of Medicine 1985; 36:51-61. Shipley, R. H., and Orleans, C. S. Treatment of cigarette smoking. In: P. A. Boudewyns and F. T. Keefe (eds.), Behavioral Medicine in General Medical Practice. Menlo Park, Calif.: Addison-Wesley, 1982.
21. Palmore, E. Health practices and illness among the aged. Gerontologist 1970; 10:313-316.
22. Pershagen, G., Hrubec, Z., and Suensson, C. Passive smoking and lung cancer in Swedish women. American Journal of Epidemiology 1987; 125:17-24.
23. Raw, M. Does nicotine chewing gum work? British Medical Journal 1985; 290:1231-1232.
24. Rigotti, N. A., and Tesar, G. E. Smoking cessation in the prevention of cardiovascular disease. Cardiovascular Clinics 1985; 3:245-257.
25. Rundgren, A., and Mellstrom, D. The effect of tobacco smoking on the bone