19. Croog, S. H., Levin, S., Testa, M. A., et al. The effects of antihypertensive therapy on the quality of life. New England Journal of Medicine 1986; 314:1657-1664.
20. Cruickshank, J. M., Thorp, J. M., and Zacharias, F. J. Benefits and potential harm of lowering high blood pressure. Lancet 1987; 1:581-584.
21. Curb, J. D., Borhani, N. O., Blaszkowski, T. P., et al. Long-term surveillance for adverse effects of antihypertensive drugs. Journal of the American Medical Association 1985; 253:3263-3268.
22. Curb, J. D., Borhani, N. O., Entwisle, G., et al. Isolated systolic hypertension in 14 communities. American Journal of Epidemiology 1985; 121:362-369.
23. Cutler, J. A., and Furberg, C. D. Drug treatment trials in hypertension: A review. Preventive Medicine 1985; 14:499-518.
24. Dawson, D., Hendershot, G., and Fulton, J. Aging in the eighties: Functional limitations of individuals 65 and over. National Center for Health Statistics, Advance Data No. 133, June 1987.
25. Drizd, T., Dannenberg, A., and Engel, A. Blood pressure levels in persons 18-74 years of age in 1976-80 and trends in blood pressure from 1960-1980 in the United States. Department of Health and Human Services, Publ. No. (PHS) 86-1684. Vital Health Statistics, Series 11, 1986.
26. Final report of the Subcommittee on Nonpharmacological Therapy of the 1984 Joint National Committee on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. Nonpharmacological approaches to the control of high blood pressure. Hypertension 1986; 8:444-467.
27. Flanenbaun, W. Diuretic use in the elderly; potential for diuretic-induced hypokalemia. American Journal of Cardiology 1986; 57:38A-43A.
28. Gribbin, B., Pickering, T. G., Sleigh, P., and Peto, R. Effect of age and high blood pressure on baroreflex sensitivity in man. Cardiovascular Research 1971; 29:424-431.
29. Griffith, D. N. W., James, I. M., Newbura, P. A., and Wollard, M. L. The effect of beta adrenergic receptor blocking drugs on cerebral blood flow. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 1979; 7:491-494.
30. Hallock, P., and Benson, I. C. Studies of the elastic properties of human isolated aorta. Journal of Clinical Investigation 1937; 16:595-602.
31. Hulley, S. B., Furberg, C. D., Gurland, B., McDonald, R., Perry, H. M., Schnaper, H. W., Schoenberger, J. A., Smith, W. M., and Vogt, T. M. Systolic hypertension in the elderly program: Antihypertensive efficacy of chlorthalidone. American Journal of Cardiology 1985; 56:913-920.
32. Hypertension Detection and Follow-up Program Cooperative Group. Blood pressure studies in 14 communities. Journal of the American Medical Association 1977; 237:2385-2391.
33. Hypertension Detection and Follow-up Cooperative Group. Five year findings of the Hypertension Detection and Follow-up Program. Journal of the American Medical Association 1979; 242:2562-2577.
34. Jackson, G., Piersoianouski, T. A., Mohon, W., et al. Inappropriate antihypertensive therapy in the elderly. Lancet 1976; 2:1317-1318.
35. Jones, J. V., and Graham, D. I. Hypertension and the cerebral circulation—its relevance to the elderly. American Heart Journal 1978; 96:270-271.
36. Kannel, W. B., Gordon, T., Castelli, W. B., and Margolis, J. R. Electrocardiographic left ventricular hypertrophy and risk of coronary heart disease. Annals of Internal Medicine 1970; 72:813-822.
37. Kannel, W. B., Gordon, T., and Schwartz, M. J. Systolic vs. diastolic blood