The following HTML text is provided to enhance online
readability. Many aspects of typography translate only awkwardly to HTML.
Please use the page image
as the authoritative form to ensure accuracy.
The Second Fifty Years: Promoting Health and Preventing Disability
pressure and risk of coronary heart disease. American Journal of Cardiology 1971; 27:335-346.
38. Kannel, W. B., and Gordon, T. Evaluation of cardiovascular risk in the elderly: The Framingham Study. Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine 1978; 54:573-591.
39. Kannel, W. B. Some lessons in cardiovascular epidemiology from Framingham. American Journal of Cardiology 1976; 37:269-282.
40. Kaplan, N. M. Non-drug treatment of hypertension. Annals of Internal Medicine 1985; 102:359-373.
41. Langford, H. G., Blanfox, D., Oberman, A., et al. Dietary therapy slows the return of hypertension after stopping prolonged medication. Journal of the American Medical Association 1985; 253:657-664.
42. Lipsitz, L. A. Abnormalities in blood pressure hemostasis associated with aging and hypertension. In: M. J. Horan, M. Steinberg, J. B. Dunbar, and E. C. Hadley (eds.), Blood Pressure Regulation and Aging: Proceedings of a National Institutes of Health Symposium. New York: Biomedical Information Corporation, 1986.
43. MacMahon, S. W., Cutler, J. A., Furgerg, C. D., and Payne, G. H. The effects of drug treatment for hypertension on morbidity and mortality from cardiovascular disease: A review of randomized trials. Progress in Cardiovascular Disease 1986; 29:99-118.
44. McLenachan, J. M., Henderson, E., Morris, K. I., and Dargie, H. J. Ventricular arrhythmia in patients with hypertensive left ventricular hypertrophy. New England Journal of Medicine 1987; 317:787-792.
45. Messerli, F. H. The age factor in hypertension. Hospital Practice 1986; 75:103-112.
46. Messerli, F. H., Sundgaard-Riise, K., Ventura, H. O., et al. Essential hypertension in the elderly: Hemodynamics. Lancet 1983; 2:983-986.
47. Meyer, J. S., Okamato, S., Sari, A., Koto, A., et al. Effects of beta-adrenergic blockade on cerebral auto-regulation and chemical vasomotor control in patients with stroke. Stroke 1974; 5:167-179.
48. National Center for Health Statistics. Annual summary of births, marriages, divorces, and deaths, U.S., 1985. Monthly and Vital Statistics, Series 34, 1986.
49. National Center for Health Statistics. National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey, U.S., 1979, Summary. Vital and Health Statistics, Series 13, No. 66, 1982.
50. National Heart Foundation of Australia. Treatment of mild hypertension in the elderly. Medical Journal of Australia 1981; 247:633-638.
51. Ostfeld, A. M. Epidemiologic overview. In: M. J. Horan, G. M. Steinberg, J. B. Dunbar, and E. C. Hadley (eds.), Blood Pressure Regulation and Aging: Proceedings of a National Institutes of Health Symposium. New York: Biomedical Information Corporation, 1986.
52. Page, L. B., and Friedlander, J. Blood pressure, age, and cultural change. In: M. J. Horan, G. M. Steinberg, J. B. Dunbar, and E. C. Hadley (eds.), Blood Pressure Regulation and Aging: Proceedings from a National Institutes of Health Symposium. New York: Biomedical Information Corporation, 1986.
53. Panel on Statistics for an Aging Population. The Aging Population in the Twenty-first Century: Statistics for Health Policy. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press, 1988.
54. Pickering, T. G., James, G. D., Boddie, C., Harshfield, G. A., Blank, S., and