Wisconsin hospitals: Results and conclusions from 6 months of comprehensive surveillance. Infection Control 1986; 7:397-402.
47. Schneider, E. L. Infectious diseases in the elderly. Annals of Internal Medicine 1983; 98:395-400.
48. Simberkoff, M. S., Cross, A. P., Al-Ibraham, M., Baltch, A. L., Geiseler, P. J., Nadler, J., Richmond, S., Smith, R. P., Schiffman, G., Shepard, D. S., and Van Eeckhout, J. P. Efficacy of pneumococcal vaccine in high-risk patients. Results of a Veterans Administration cooperative study. New England Journal of Medicine 1986; 315:1318-1327.
49. Shapiro, E. D., and Clemens, J. D. A controlled evaluation of the protective efficacy of pneumococcal vaccine for patients at high risk of serious pneumococcal infections. Annals of Internal Medicine 1984; 101:325-330.
50. Sims, R. V., Steinman, W. C., McConville, J. H., King, L. R., Zwick, W. C., and Schwartz, J. S. The clinical effectiveness of pneumococcal vaccine in the elderly. Annals of Internal Medicine 1988; 108:653-657.
51. Spengler, R. F., and Greenough, W. B. Hospital costs and mortality attributed to nosocomial bacteremias. Journal of the American Medical Association 1978; 240:2455-2458.
52. Verghese, A., and Berk, S. L. Bacterial pneumonia in the elderly. Medicine 1983; 62:271-285.
53. Willems, J. S., Sanders, C. R., Riddiough, M. A., and Bell, J. C. Cost effectiveness of vaccination against pneumococcal pneumonia. New England Journal of Medicine 1980; 303:553-559.
54. Willems, J. S., and Sanders, C. R. Cost-effectiveness and cost-benefit analysis of vaccines. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1981; 144:486-493.
55. Yoshikawa, T. T., Norman, D. C., and Grahn, D. Infections in the aging population. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 1985; 33:496-503.