1. Hanna KE. Collaborative research in biomedicine: resolving conflicts. In: Institute of Medicine. Government and Industry Collaboration in Biomedical Research and Education. Washington: National Academy Press. 1989.
2. Relman AS. Economic incentives in clinical investigation. New Eng J Med 1989;320:933–4.
3. Booth W. Conflict of interest eyed at Harvard. Science 1988;242:1497–9.
4. Lichter PR. Biomedical research, conflict of interest, and the public trust. Ophthalmology 1989;96:575–8.
5. Tseng SCG, Maumenee AE, Stark WJ, Maumenee IH, Jensen AD, Green WR , Kenyon KR. Topical retinoid treatment for various dry-eye disorders. Ophthalmology 1985;92:717–27.
6. Soong HK, Martin NF, Wagoner MD, et al. Topical retinoid therapy for squamous metaplasia of various ocular surface disorders: a multicenter, placebo-controlled double-masked study. Ophthalmology 1988;95:1442–6.
7. Gilbard JP, Huang AJW, Belldegrun R, Lee JS, Rossi SR, Gray KL. Open-label crossover study of vitamin A ointment as a treatment for keratoconjunctivitis sicca. Ophthalmology 1989;96:244–6.
8. Council on Scientific Affairs and Council on Ethical and Judicial Affairs. Conflicts of interest in medical center/industry research relationships. JAMA 1990;263:2790–3.
9. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Request for comment on proposed guidelines for policies on conflict of interest. NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts 1989;18(32):1–5.
10. Harvard University Faculty of Medicine. Policy on Conflicts of Interest and Commitment. March 22, 1990.
11. Relman AS. Dealing with conflicts of interest. N Engl J Med 1984;310:1182–3.
12. American Thoracic Society. The potential for conflict of interest of members of the American Thoracic Society. Am Rev Respir Dis 1988;137:489–90.
13. Association of Academic Health Centers Task Force on Science Policy. Conflicts of Interest in Academic Health Centers. 1990.
14. Association of American Medical Colleges. Guidelines For Dealing With Faculty Conflicts of Commitment and Conflicts of Research. February 22, 1990.
15. Healy B, Campeau L, Gray R, et al. Conflict of interest guidelines for a multicenter clinical trial of treatment after coronary-artery bypass-graft surgery. N Engl J Med 1989;320:949–51.
16. Wennberg JE, Mulley AG, Hanley D, et al. An assessment of prostatectomy for benign urinary tract obstruction. JAMA 1988;259:3027–30.
17. Stewart AL, Hays RD, Ware JE. The MOS short-form general health survey. Reliability and validity in a patient population. Med Care 1988;26:724–35.
18. Stewart AL, Greenfield S, Hays RD, Well K, Rogers WH, Berry SD, McGlynn EA, Ware JE. Functional status and well-being of patients with chronic conditions: results from the medical outcomes study. JAMA 1989;262:907–13.
19. Greenfield S. The state of outcome research: are we on target? N Engl J Med 1989;320:1142–3.
20. Barry MJ, Mulley AG, Fowler FJ, Wennberg JW. Watchful waiting vs immediate transurethral resection for symptomatic prostatism: the importance of patients' preferences. JAMA 1988;259:3010–17.
21. Wennberg JE, Roos N, Sola L, Schori A, Jaffe R. Use of claims data systems to evaluate health care outcomes: mortality and reoperation following prostatectomy. JAMA 1987;257:933–6.
22. Fowler FJ, Wennberg JE, Timothy RP, Barry MJ, Mulley AG, Hanley D. Symptom status and quality of life following prostatectomy. JAMA 1988;259:3018–22.