The planning group’s role was limited to planning the workshop, and the workshop summary was prepared by the workshop rapporteur as a factual summary of what occurred at the workshop.
The presentations and discussions during the workshop are summarized sequentially in the main part of this report as “Workshop Presentations and Discussions.” As an aid to readers, the rapporteur has identified nine themes that recurred in multiple presentations and discussions:
1. Parts Obsolescence: Dealing with Diminishing Manufacturing Sources for Parts and Components
2. Counterfeit Parts and Nonconforming Materials: Issues and Potential Solutions
3. Strategies to Deal with Materials Shortages
4. Easing the Transition from System Acquisition to System Sustainment
5. Enabling the Cradle-to-Grave Digital Thread for Materials, Parts, and Components of Systems
6. Transitioning to Condition-Based Maintenance
7. Government–Industry Information Sharing and Partnering to Sustain Defense Systems
8. Research Topics for Sustainment Science and Technology
9. Policy Obstacles to and Enablers for Meeting System Sustainment Challenges
These themes were also described in the open discussion before the close of the workshop, when discussion leader Steven Wax asked the participants for comments, in light of all the presentations and discussions, on unmet needs and unresolved big issues in the areas of sustainment, replication/obsolescence, and counterfeits. The discussion resulted in the following outline of needs and issues suggested by one or more participants. The individual items in this outline were not discussed in depth during the session and do not reflect any consensus among the workshop participants but can serve the reader as another source of material from the workshop.
• From cost curves for sustainment, it appears that savings from implementation of improved sustainment could be used to move new sustainment technologies from TRL/MRL 6 to TRL/MRL 9.1 However, use of such
1 MRL, Manufacturing Readiness Level. Nine MRLs are defined in AFSAB, 2011, p. 152.