Gwen P. Holdmann is the director of the Alaska Center for Energy and Power (ACEP), which is an applied energy research program based at the University of Alaska Fairbanks emphasizing both fossil and renewable/alternative energy technologies. ACEP is a highly interdisciplinary program with over 30 affiliated faculty, spanning a wide range of energy-related disciplines. Prior to joining the University of Alaska, Holdmann served as the vice president of new development at Chena Hot Springs Resort near Fairbanks. While at Chena, Holdmann oversaw the construction of the first geothermal power plant in the state, in addition to numerous other innovative energy projects ranging from hydrogen production to cooling a 10,000 ft2 ice museum year-round using 150°F hot water. Holdmann moved to Alaska in 1994, shortly after graduating from Bradley University with an M.S. in physics and mechanical engineering. Holdmann has been the recipient of several awards throughout her career, including an R&D 100 award, Project of the Year from Power Engineering Magazine, and the Alaska Top 40 Under 40 Award.
Carroll N. LeTellier, a member of the National Academy of Engineering (NAE), was involved in the early design phases for the new Cooper River Bridge. Other significant projects he helped lead include the design and building of the Tennessee Tombigbee Waterway, the Fort McHenry Tunnel in Baltimore, Locks and Dam 26 on the Mississippi, and multimillion dollar improvements to the physical and technical security of 44 U.S. embassies worldwide. A 1949 graduate of the Citadel, LeTellier served for 27 years with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. He then joined Sverdrup Corporation as vice president, where he served for 25 years until his retirement in 2001. The NAE cited LeTellier for “leadership in the planning, design and construction of major infrastructure and military facilities that meet and serve the highest societal values.” LeTellier has had a lifelong connection with engineering and the Citadel. His father, Louis S. LeTellier, was head of the Citadel’s civil engineering department for many years and served as acting president of the college after the retirement of General Charles P. Summerall in 1953 until the arrival of General Mark Clark in 1954.
James B. Porter, Jr., was chief engineer and vice president of engineering and operations for DuPont until his retirement in September 2008. He joined the company in 1966 as a chemical engineer in the Engineering Service Division (ESD) field program at the Engineering Test Center in Newark, Delaware. He left the same year for a tour in the United States Army and returned in April 1968 as a technical services engineer at DuPont’s Chattanooga, Tennessee, fibers plant. Porter was named vice president of engineering on November 1, 1996. He then became vice president of Safety, Health & Environment and Engineering on February 1, 2004. Porter assumed the position of chief engineer and vice president, DuPont Engineering and Operations on July 1, 2006. He has served as chair for the Construction Industry Institute (CII) and he was the 2004 recipient of CII’s Carroll H. Dunn Award of Excellence. In 2005 he received the Engineering and Construction Contracting Association Achievement Award and in 2007 he was honored with the Society of Women Engineers Rodney D. Chipp Memorial Award. In 2008 he was the first recipient of FIATECH’s “James B. Porter, Jr. Award for