1. D. Ball, “The Development of the SIOP, 1960-1983,” D. Ball and J. Richelson. Strategic Nuclear Targeting. Ithaca, N.Y.: Cornell University Press, 1986, p. 81.
2. L.R. Leavitt, Reforging European Security: From Confrontation to Cooperation. Boulder, Colo: Westview Press, 1991, Appendix; M. M. May, G.F. Bing, and J.D. Steinbruner, Strategic Arms Reduction. Washington, D.C.: The Brookings Institution, 1988.
3. May, Strategic Arms Reduction.
5. Ibid., and H.A. Feiveson and F.N. von Hippel, “Beyond START: How to Make Much Deeper Cuts,” International Security, Vol. 15, No. 1 (Summer 1990), pp. 154-180.
6. An example of analysis that has resulted in similar suggested numbers of warheads is R.D. Speed, Strategic Forces: Future Requirements and Options. Livermore, Calif.: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Report UCRL-ID-105336, November 1990, pp. 52-53.