4. See, for example, Bradsher, Keith. 1991. "Judge Allows Phone Companies to Provide Information Services," New York Times, July 26, p. A1.
5. Shapiro, Eben. 1991. "A Service Is Dropped by Prodigy," New York Times, May 17, p. C3; and "Can Prodigy Be All Things to 15 Million PC Owners?" New York Times, June 2, p. F4. Konsynski, Benn R., and F. Warren McFarlan. 1990. "Information Partnerships—Shared Data, Shared Scale," Harvard Business Review, September–October, p. 116.
6. Committee on Physical, Mathematical, and Engineering Sciences, Federal Coordinating Council for Science, Engineering, and Technology, Office of Science and Technology Policy. 1991. Grand Challenges: High Performance Computing and Communications, Supplement to the President's Fiscal Year 1992 Budget, p. 8.
7. Computer Science and Technology Board, National Research Council. 1988. Toward a National Research Network, National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., pp. 25–35.
8. See, for example, Dertouzos, 1991, "Building the Information Marketplace," pp. 29–40; Gilder, George. 1991. "Into the Telecosm," Harvard Business Review, March–April, pp. 150–161; and Weingarten, Fred. 1991. "Five Steps to NREN Enlightenment," EDUCOM Review, Spring, pp. 26–30.