*The Hantavirus Study Group includes M.Burkhart, N.Kalishman, R.Voorhees, J.Voorhees, M.Samuel, M.Tanuz, L.Hughes, S.Wictor, G.Oty, L.Nims, S.Castle, B.Bryt, and C.M.Sewell— New Mexico Department of Health; P.Reynolds and T.Brown— New Mexico Environment Department; L.Sands, K.Komatsu, C.Kioski, K.Fleming, J.Doll, C.Levy, T.M.Fink, P.Murphy, B.England, M.Smolinski, B.Erickson, W.Slanta, and G.Gellert —Arizona Department of Health Services; P.Schillam and R.E. Hoffman—Colorado Department of Health; S.Lanser and C.Nichols—Utah Department of Health; L.Hubbard-Pourier— Division of Health, Navaho Nation; J.Cheek, A.Craig, R.Haskins, B.Muneta, S.John, J.Kitzes, J.Hubbard, M.Carroll, R.Wood, C.North, P.Bohan, and N.Cobb—Indian Health Service; R.Zumwalt and P.McFeely—New Mexico Office of the Medical Investigator; H.Levy, G.Mertz, S.Young, K.Foucar, B.Hjelle, J.McLaughlin, S.Allen, and S.Simpson—University of New Mexico Hospital; T.Merlin—Lovelace Medical Center; and M.Schmidt, L.Simonsen, C.Vitek, C.Dalton, R.Helfand, P.Ettestadt, J.Tappero, A.Khan, L.Chapman, R.Pinner, K.Wachsmuth, A.Kaufmann, J.Wenger, and J.McDade—Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
1. Outbreak of acute illness—southwestern United States, 1993. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 1993;42:421–4.
2. Haemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome; memorandum from a WHO meeting. Bull World Health Organ 1993;61:269–75.
3. McKee KT Jr, MacDonald C, LeDuc JW, Peters CJ. Hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome—a clinical perspective. Mil Med 1985;150:640– 7.
4. Lee HW, Lee PW, Johnson KM. Isolation of the etiologic agent of Korean Hemorrhagic fever. J Infect Dis 1978;137:298–308.
5. Lee HW. Korean hemorrhagic fever. Prog Med Virol 1982;28:96–113.
6. Antoniadis A, Le Duc JW, Daniel-Alexiou S. Clinical and epidemiological aspects of hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome (HFRS) in Greece. Eur J Epidemiol 1987;3:295–301.
7. Gligic A, Dimkovic N, Xiao SY, et al. Belgrade virus: a new hantavirus causing severe hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome in Yugoslavia. J Infect Dis 1992;166:113–20.
8. Giles RB, Sheedy JA, Ekman CN, et al. The sequelae of epidemic hemorrhagic fever: with a note on causes of death. Am J Med 1954;16:629– 38.
9. Tsai TF, Bauer SP, Sasso DR, et al. Serological and virological evidence of a Hantaan virus-related enzootic in the United States. J Infect Dis 1985; 152:126–36.
10. LeDuc JW, Smith GA, Johnson KM. Hantaan-like viruses from domestic rats captured in the United States. Am J Trop Med Hyg 1984;33:992–8.
11. Nichol ST, Spiropoulou CF, Morzunov S, et al. Genetic identification of a hantavirus associated with an outbreak of acute respiratory illness. Science 1993;262:914–7.
12. Bruno P, Hassell LH, Brown J, Tanner W, Lau A. The protean manifestations of hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome: a retrospective review of 26 cases from Korea. Ann Intern Med 1990;113:385–91.
13. Sheedy JA, Froeb HF, Batson HA, et al. The clinical course of epidemic hemorrhagic fever. Am J Med 1954;16:619–28.
14. Johnson K. Hantaviruses. In: Evans AS, ed. Viral infections of humans: epidemiology and control. 3rd ed. New York: Plenum Press, 1989:341–50.
15. Earle DP. Analysis of sequential physiologic derangements in epidemic hemorrhagic fever: with a commentary on management. Am J Med 1954;16:690–709.
16. Lukes RJ. The pathology of thirty-nine fatal cases of epidemic hemorrhagic fever. Am J Med 1954;16:639–50.
17. Petty TL. Adult respiratory distress syndrome: definition and historical perspective. Clin Chest Med 1982;3:3–7.
18. Pepe PE, Potkin RT, Reus DH, Hudson LD, Carrico CJ. Clinical predictors of the adult respiratory distress syndrome. Am J Surg 1982;144:124–30.
19. Simon RH, Ward PA. Adult respiratory distress syndrome. In: Gallin JI, Goldstein IM, Snyderman R, eds. Inflammation: basic principles and clinical correlates. 2nd ed. New York: Raven Press, 1992:999–1016.
20. Rinaldo JE, Rogers RM. Adult respiratory-distress syndrome: changing concepts of lung injury and repair. N Engl J Med 1982;306:900–9.
21. Gajdusek DC. Virus hemorrhagic fevers: special reference to hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome (epidemic hemorrhagic fever). J Pediatr 1962;60: 841–57.
22. Lee HW. Hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome in Korea. Rev Infect Dis 1989;11:Suppl 4:S864–S876.
23. Lee M, Kim BK, Kim S, et al. Coagulopathy in hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome (Korean hemorrhagic fever). Rev Infect Dis 1989;11:Suppl 4:S877–S883.
24. St John RC, Dorinsky PM. Immunologic therapy for ARDS, septic shock, and multiple-organ failure. Chest 1993;103:932–43.
25. Obukhova GG. Kinen system components and blood serum proteinase inhibitors in hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome. Vopr Med Khim 1980;26:118–20. (In Russian.)
26. Yang CW, Bang BK. Changes of serum levels of tumor necrosis factor-alpha in patients with hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome. J Cathol Med Coll 1992;45:819–30. (In Korean.)
27. Huggins J, Hsiang C, Cosgriff T, et al. Prospective, double-blind, concurrent, placebo-controlled clinical trial of intravenous ribavirin therapy of hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome. J Infect Dis 1991;164:1119–27.
28. Childs JE, Korch GW, Glass GE, LeDuc JW, Shah KV. Epizootiology of Hantavirus infections in Baltimore: isolation of a virus from Norway rats, and characteristics of infected rat populations. Am J Epidemiol 1987;126: 55–68.
29. Lee PW, Amyx HL, Yanagihara R, Gajdusek DC, Goldgaber D, Gibbs CJ Jr. Partial characterization of Prospect Hill virus isolated from meadow voles in the United States. J Infect Dis 1985;152:826–9.
30. Tsai TF, Bauer SP, Sasso DR, et al. Preliminary evidence that Hantaan or a closely related virus is enzootic in domestic rodents. N Engl J Med 1992;307:623–4.
31. Yanagihara R, Gajdusek DC, Gibbs CJ Jr, Traub R. Prospect Hill virus: serologic evidence for infection in mammalogists. N Engl J Med 1984;310: 1325–6.
32. Yanagihara R. Hantavirus infection in the United States; epizootiology and epidemiology. Rev Infect Dis 1990;12:449–57.
33. Update: outbreak of hantavirus infection—southwestern United States, 1993. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 1993;42:441–3.
34. Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome—United States, 1993. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 1994;43:45–8.
35. Hantavirus infection—southwestern United States: interim recommendations for risk reduction. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 1993;42(RR-11):1–13.