- Individually housed primate infants or juveniles.
- Individually housed primates that are unable to see or hear primates of their own or compatible species.
- Nonhuman primates in psychological distress, as determined by behavior or appearance.
- Nonhuman primates participating in approved animal study proposals which require restricted activity.
- Great apes weighing more than 110 lbs (50 kg).
Nonhuman primates experiencing restraint for more than 12 hours are provided daily with the opportunity for unrestrained activity for at least 1 continuous hour during the period of restraint unless continuous restraint is required by an approved animal study protocol.