The following HTML text is provided to enhance online
readability. Many aspects of typography translate only awkwardly to HTML.
Please use the page image
as the authoritative form to ensure accuracy.
Prudent Practices in the Laboratory: Handling and Disposal of Chemicals
LABORATORY CHEMICAL SAFETY SUMMARY: HYDROGEN SULFIDE
(Hydrosulfuric acid, sulfur hydride)
bp -61 °C, mp -83 °C
Slightly soluble in water (2.9 g/100 mL at 20 °C)
Strong rotten egg odor detectable at 0.001 to 0.1 ppm (mean = 0.0094 ppm); olfactory fatigue occurs quickly at high concentrations
1.189 (air = 1.0)
20 atm at 25 °C
< -82.4 °C
LC50 inhal (rat)
444 ppm (580 mg/m3)
LCLO inhal (human)
800 ppm (1110 mg/m3; 5 min)
20 ppm (ceiling) (28 mg/m3)
10 ppm (14 mg/m3)
15 ppm (21 mg/m3)
Moderately toxic gas; inhalation of large concentrations can cause unconsciousness, respiratory paralysis, and death; highly flammable.
The acute toxicity of hydrogen sulfide by inhalation is moderate. A 5-min exposure to 800 ppm has resulted in death. Inhalation of 1000 to 2000 ppm may cause coma after a single breath. Exposure to lower concentrations may cause headache, dizziness, and upset stomach. Low concentrations of H2S (20 to 150 ppm) can cause eye irritation, which may be delayed in onset. Although the odor of hydrogen sulfide is detectable at very low concentrations, it rapidly causes olfactory fatigue at higher levels, and therefore is not considered to have adequate warning properties.
Hydrogen sulfide has not been shown to be carcinogenic or to have reproductive or developmental effects in humans.
Flammability and Explosibility
Hydrogen sulfide is flammable in air in the range of 4.3 to 45.5% (NFPA rating = 4). Combustion products (sulfur oxides) are also toxic by inhalation. In the event of a hydrogen