SEC. 1301. COAL RESEARCH, DEVELOPMENT, DEMONSTRATION, AND COMMERCIAL APPLICATION PROGRAMS.
(a) ESTABLISHMENT.—The Secretary shall, in accordance with section 3001 and 3002 of this Act, conduct programs for research, development, demonstration, and commercial application on coal-based technologies. Such research, development, demonstration, and commercial application programs shall include the programs established under this subtitle, and shall have the goals and objectives of—
(1) ensuring a reliable electricity supply;
(2) complying with applicable environmental requirements;
(3) achieving the control of sulfur oxides, oxides of nitrogen, air toxics, solid and liquid wastes, greenhouse gases, or other emissions resulting from coal use or conversion at levels of proficiency greater than or equal to applicable currently available commercial technology;
(4) achieving the cost competitive conversion of coal into energy forms usable in the transportation sector;
(5) demonstrating the conversion of coal to synthetic gaseous, liquid, and solid fuels;
(6) demonstrating, in cooperation with other Federal and State agencies, the use of coal-derived fuels in mobile equipment, with opportunities for industrial cost sharing participation;