- As an undergraduate, try to join a research team.
- Volunteer for communication and leadership activities within your current activities: in a disciplinary society, student organization, class, or laboratory.
- As a graduate student, be a mentor to undergraduates and encourage them to participate in research.
- Practice brainstorming with fellow researchers in person or via the Internet.
- Form a research group: give talks to each other and encourage honest comment.
- Arrange an off-campus internship that can extend or broaden your skills and introduce you to another work environment.
- Use computer aids to evaluate your attributes.
- Join or organize a Toastmaster's Club to improve your public-speaking skills.