- When evaluating a possible dissertation topic, think of a title, summary, and possible conclusions.
- Look for classes and internships that will increase your breadth and experience.
- When evaluating possible faculty advisers, look for a person who not only is professionally competent, but also cares about the quality of your educational experience.
- To gain perspective on your work, look at other people's projects and invite them to look at yours.
- Plan ways to complete your degree expeditiously.
- At your university or via the Internet, join or form an interdisciplinary dissertation support group or a journal club (in which students and faculty meet to discuss the latest journal articles).