TABLE 6-1. Distribution of Participation in Nuclear Test Series

Number of Nuclear Test Series in which Person Participated

CROSSROADS Participants

Number

Percent

CROSSROADS only

38,203

89.8

CROSSROADS plus 1 other

3,913

9.2

CROSSROADS plus 2 others

333

0.8

CROSSROADS plus 3 others

38

0.1

CROSSROADS plus 4 others

14

0.03

CROSSROADS plus 5 others

8

0.02

CROSSROADS plus 6 others

10

0.02

CROSSROADS plus 7 others

1

0.002

CROSSROADS plus 8 others

3

0.007

CROSSROADS plus 9 others

1

0.002

CROSSROADS plus 10 others

1

0.002

CROSSROADS plus 11 others

1

0.002

Total

42,526*

~100

* This count includes all participants, not only Navy personnel.

Note that 90 percent (n = 38,203) of CROSSROADS participants did not participate in any other military nuclear test. Of the remaining 10 percent (n = 4,323) who did, most (90.5 percent) were in only one other test (with almost half of those qualifying only by their inclusion in post-CROSSROADS activities, which we consider a separate test series for classification purposes).

Primary Analysis—Navy Personnel Only

The participant cohort was 91 percent Navy personnel. Because Navy records were the most complete (as will be discussed in Chapter 9), primary analyses for this report are limited to the 38,662 participating Navy personnel

Exclusivity of Participant and Comparison Cohorts

The comparison roster was checked against the participant roster. The 205 Navy individuals appearing on both were deleted from the control roster for this report's analyses.



The National Academies | 500 Fifth St. N.W. | Washington, D.C. 20001
Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use and Privacy Statement