30. Clapp, N.K., Darden, D.B., Jr., and Jernigan, M.C. 1974. Relative effects of whole-body sublethal doses of 60-Me V protons and 300-kVp x rays on disease incidence in RF mice. Radiat. Res. 57: 158–186.
31. Burns, F.J., Hosselet, S., and Garte, S.J. 1989. Extrapolations of rat skin tumor incidence: Dose, fractionation and linear energy transfer. Pp. 571–582 in: Low Dose Radiation: Biological Bases of Risk Assessment (K.F. Baverstock and J.W. Stather, eds.). Taylor and Francis, London.
32. Burns, F.J., Albert, R.E., Vanderlaan, M., and Strickland, P. 1975. The dose-response curve for tumor induction with single and split doses of 10 MeV protons. Radiat. Res. 62: 598 (abstract).
33. NCRP, 1989, Guidance on Radiation Received in Space Activities.
34. Ainsworth, E.J. 1986. Early and late mammalian responses to heavy charged particles. Adv. Space Res. 6: 153–165.
35. Merriam, G.R., Jr., Worgul, B.V., Medvedovsky, C., Zaider, M., and Rossi, H.H. 1984. Accelerated heavy particles and the lens. I. Cataractogenic potential. Radiat. Res. 98: 1, 129–140.
36. Lett, J.T., Lee, A.C., and Cox, A.B. 1991. Late cataractogenesis in rhesus monkeys irradiated with protons and radiogenic cataract in other species. Radiat. Res. 126: 147–156.
37. Worgul, B.V., Medvedovsky, C., Huang, Y., Marino, S.A., Randers-Pehrson, G., and Brenner, D.J. 1996. Quantitative assessment of the cataractogenic potential of very low doses of neutrons. Radiat. Res. 145: 343–349.
38. Committee on the Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiation, National Research Council. 1988. Health Effects of Radon and Other Internally Deposited Alpha-Emitters: BEIR IV. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C.
39. Alpen, E.L., Power-Risius, P., Curtis, S.B., DeGuzman, R., and Fry, R.J.M. 1994. Fluence-based relative biological effectiveness for charged particle carcinogenesis in mouse harderian gland. Adv. Space Res. 14: 573–581.
40. Alpen et al., 1994, Fluence-based relative biological effectiveness for charged particle carcinogenesis in mouse harderian gland.
41. NCRP, 1989, Guidance on Radiation Received in Space Activities. See also Blakely et al., 1984, Heavy ion radiobiology: Cellular studies.
42. ICRP, 1991, 1990 Recommendations of the International Commission on Radiological Protection.
43. Curtis, S.B. 1994. Single-track effects and new directions in GCR risk assessment. Adv. Space Res. 14: 855–894.
44. Burns et al., 1989, Extrapolations of rat skin tumor incidence.