The following HTML text is provided to enhance online
readability. Many aspects of typography translate only awkwardly to HTML.
Please use the page image
as the authoritative form to ensure accuracy.
Evelyn Hutchinson (NAS). He held a Sterling Postdoctoral Fellowship in 1938-39. In 1938 he married Georgiana Baxter, a fellow graduate student, with whom he published several papers and had three children, Ruth, Edward Brian, and David Kevin, and three grandchildren. Georgiana died in 1982. Ed then married Dian Hitchcock, a geochemist specializing in sulfur, an interest quite compatible with his own interest in sulfur isotopes in lakes (1963;1983,2).
During the summers of 1938 and 1939 Deevey was employed by the Connecticut State Board of Fisheries to make limnological surveys of lakes. His first academic job, at Rice Institute, was ended in 1943 by a three-year stint during World War II at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution where, as a civilian, he did research in marine biology of interest to the U. S. Navy. Much of the work consisted of identifying and counting fouling organisms from buoys, data of considerable importance to mine warfare and ship operations. In 1946 he returned to Yale where he progressed from lecturer to full professor. In 1967 he took a one-year appointment at the National Science Foundation as both head of the Section on Environmental and Systematic Biology and acting director of Environmental Biology. At that time plans for the U.S. contribution to the International Biological Program were being completed. Deevey took particular pleasure in his association with the program, but did not regret the brevity of the appointment. He told me that it would be dangerous for him to stay, explaining that he had begun to feel like God, and he was afraid it would be addictive.
In 1968 he took on the Killam professorship at Dalhousie University. That was his shortest academic appointment. In 1971 he accepted a Distinguished Graduate Research Curatorship in Paleoecology and Professorship at the Florida State Museum of Natural History at the University of Florida