Death Awareness Exercise
- First patient visit: Introduction and discussion of patient's current status, how he or she learned about his or her illness, and his or her feelings about his or her current medical situation.
- Second patient visit with special attention to pain and symptom control issues.
- Third patient visit: Focus on cultural issues and desires for care at the end of life.
- Fourth patient visit: Focus on religious and spiritual issues.
- Complete a personal advance directive.
- Fifth patient visit: Spiritual assessment.
- Sixth patient visit: As a volunteer, helping with some aspect of patient's care, saying goodbye.