The research was performed during a stay of V.Bertram as a visiting, scientist of MHI R&D Center in Nagasaki sponsored by the German Research Association (DFG). The authors are grateful for the assistance of VBD, namely Dipl.-Ing. A.Gronarz, for updated data on measurements. We thank H.Sato for his assistance for the RANSE computations.
1. ITTC ( 1993), ”Report on cooperative experimental program in shallow water,” 20th Int. Towing Tank Conf., Resistance and Flow Committee, San Francisco
2. Sretensky, L.N. ( 1937), ”A theoretical investigation of wave resistance,” Joukovsky Central Institute for Aero-Hydrodynamics Rep. 319 (in Russian)
3. Inui, T. ( 1954), ”Wave-making resistance in shallow water sea and in restricted water with special reference to its discontinuities,” J. Soc. Nav. Arch. of Japan 76, pp. 1–10.
4. Lap, A. ( 1972), ”Ship resistance in shallow and restricted water,”, 13th Int. Towing Tank Conf., Appendix 5 to Report of Resistance Committee, Berlin/Hamburg
5. Tuck, E.O. ( 1978), ”Hydrodynamic problems of ships in restricted water,” Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech. 10, pp. 33–46.
6. Ni, S.Y. ( 1987), ”Higher order panel method for potential flows with linear or nonlinear free surface boundary conditions,” Ph.D. thesis, Chalmers Univ. of Technology, Sweden
7. Kim, K. and Choi, Y. ( 1993), ”A numerical calculation of free surface potential flow field and of ship wave resistance in shallow water by fully nonlinear wave theory,” 2nd Japan Korea Workshop, Osaka, pp. 111–120.
8. Kim, K., Choi, Y., Jansson, C., and Larsson, L. ( 1994), ”Linear and nonlinear calculations of the free surface potential flow around ships in shallow water,” 20th Symp. Naval Hydrodyn., Santa Barbara
9. Maissonneuve, J. and Delhommeau, G. ( 1991), ”A computer tool for solving the wave resistance problem for conventional and unconventional ships,” 3rd Int. Conf. CADMO, Key Biscaine
10. Delhommeau, G. ( 1993), ”Wave resistance code REVA,” 19th WEGEMT school on Num. Simulation of Hydrodyn., Nantes
11. Söding, H., Bertram, V., and Jensen, G. ( 1989), ”Numerical computation of squat and trim of ships in shallow water, ” STG-Yearbook 83, Springer, pp. 42–48. (in German)
12. Jensen, G., Bertram, V., and Söding, H. ( 1989), ”Ship wave-resistance computations,” 5th Int. Conf. Num. Ship Hydrodyn., Hiroshima, pp. 593–606.
13. Kux, J. and Müller, E. ( 1992), ”Shallow-water influence on ship flows demonstrated for a Series-60 ship, CB=0.6,” STG-Yearbook 86, Springer, pp. 367–389. (in German)
14. Bertram, V. ( 1994), ”Shallow water effects for SWATH ships,” 9th Int. Workshop Water Waves and Floating Bodies, Kuju
15. Zibell, H.G. and Bertram, V. ( 1994), ”Influence of the channel effect on resistance and flow field of a river cargo vessel,” Binnenschiffahrt 49/17, pp. 34–38. (in German)
16. Bertram, V. and Jensen, G. ( 1992), ”Side wall and shallow water influence on potential flow,” 8th Int. Workshop Water Waves and Floating Bodies, Val de Reuil
17. Bertram, V. and Yasukawa, H. ( 1995), ”Inviscid free-surface computations for a Series-60 in a channel,” 4th Symp. Nonlinear and Free-Surface Flows, Hiroshima, pp. 13–16.
18. Yasukawa, H. ( 1989), ”Calculation of the free surface flow around a ship in shallow water by Rankine source method,” 5th Int. Conf. Num. Ship Hydrodyn., Hiroshima, pp. 643–655.
19. Bai, K.J. ( 1977), ”A localized finite element method for steady three dimensional free surface flow problems,” 2nd Int. Conf. Num. Ship Hydrodyn., Berkeley, pp. 78–87.
20. Pagel, W.; Rieck, K.; Grollius, W.; Gronarz, A. ( 1995), ”Experimental and theortical-numerical flow investigations for river cargo ships,” VBD-Report 1366, Duisburg (in German)
21. Cura, A. ( 1994), ”Influence of shallow water on the flow around a slender ship hull, ” 15th Duisburg Koll. Schiffstechnik/Meerestechnik, Univ. Duisburg, pp. 78–96. (in German)
22. Cura, A. ( 1995), ”Influence of water depth on ship stern flows,” Ship Techn. Res. 42/4, pp. 193–197.
23. Binek, H., Ter Jung, G., and Müller, E.