· How do syntactic competence and awareness influence reading growth? What aspects of syntax warrant instruction?
· What are the best strategies for building vocabulary growth?
· What are the keys to improving content-area reading?
· Can spelling and vocabulary growth be accelerated by learning about derivational morphology and, toward that end, what are the best strategies for its instruction?
· What kinds of instructional practices and activities serve best to develop children's habits of self-monitoring for coherence and comprehension?
· What is the impact of early childhood and primary-grade instructional practices on reading and literacy growth in the middle and upper grades of school? How should the curriculum be changed to maximize such benefit?
· What is the actual incidence and nature of the ''fourth-grade slump"? Its prevalence and presenting symptoms should be documented and, if so indicated, research on its underlying causes and best prevention should follow.
· What kinds of curriculum materials (including basal readers) are useful for what purposes, and how can published materials and the reading/writing curriculum be integrated?
· What kinds of knowledge and material support do classroom teachers need for greatest effectiveness?
· How can in-service opportunities be used most effectively?
· What are the best strategies for monitoring and managing the range of student progress and difficulties in any given classroom or building?
· What kinds of classroom, grouping, and staffing options would significantly improve instructional delivery in the primary grades?
· What are the best strategies for maintaining constructive communication and collaboration between parents and teachers in support of children's reading development?