The following HTML text is provided to enhance online
readability. Many aspects of typography translate only awkwardly to HTML.
Please use the page image
as the authoritative form to ensure accuracy.
· How do syntactic competence and awareness influence reading growth? What aspects of syntax warrant instruction?
· What are the best strategies for building vocabulary growth?
· What are the keys to improving content-area reading?
· Can spelling and vocabulary growth be accelerated by learning about derivational morphology and, toward that end, what are the best strategies for its instruction?
· What kinds of instructional practices and activities serve best to develop children's habits of self-monitoring for coherence and comprehension?
· What is the impact of early childhood and primary-grade instructional practices on reading and literacy growth in the middle and upper grades of school? How should the curriculum be changed to maximize such benefit?
· What is the actual incidence and nature of the ''fourth-grade slump"? Its prevalence and presenting symptoms should be documented and, if so indicated, research on its underlying causes and best prevention should follow.
· What kinds of curriculum materials (including basal readers) are useful for what purposes, and how can published materials and the reading/writing curriculum be integrated?
· What kinds of knowledge and material support do classroom teachers need for greatest effectiveness?
· How can in-service opportunities be used most effectively?
· What are the best strategies for monitoring and managing the range of student progress and difficulties in any given classroom or building?
· What kinds of classroom, grouping, and staffing options would significantly improve instructional delivery in the primary grades?
· What are the best strategies for maintaining constructive communication and collaboration between parents and teachers in support of children's reading development?