. "Appendix C: Excerpts from the National Competitiveness Technology Transfer Act of 1989." Technology Commercialization: Russian Challenges, American Lessons. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 1998.
The following HTML text is provided to enhance online
readability. Many aspects of typography translate only awkwardly to HTML.
Please use the page image
as the authoritative form to ensure accuracy.
(1) enhance United States national security by promoting technology transfer between Government-owned, contractor-operated laboratories and the private sector in the United States; and
(2) enhance collaboration between universities, the private sector, and Government-owned, contractor-operated laboratories in order to foster the development of technologies in areas of significant economic potential.
Section 3133 Authority to Enter into Cooperative Research and Development Agreements
(a) TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER ACTIVITIES-Section 12 of the Stevenson-Wydler Technology Innovation Act of 1980 (15 U.S.C. 3710a) is amended—
(1) in subsection (a)—
(A) by inserting '', and to the extent provided in an agency-approved joint work statement, the director of any of its Government-owned, contractor-operated laboratories" after "Government-operated Federal laboratories";
(B) by striking "Government-owned" and inserting in lieu thereof "(in the case of a Government-owned, contractor-operated laboratory, subject of subsection (c) of this section) for" in paragraph (2); and
(C) by striking "of Federal employees" in paragraph (2);
(2) in subsection (b)—
(A) by inserting ", and to the extent provided in an agency-approved joint work statement, the director of any of its Government-owned, contractor-operated laboratory" after "Government-operated Federal laboratory";
(B) by striking "a Federal" in paragraph (2) and inserting in lieu thereof "a laboratory"; and
(C) by inserting after paragraph (5) the following:
"A Government-owned, contractor-operated laboratory that enters into a cooperative research and development agreement under subsection (a)(1) may use or obligate royalties or other income accruing to such laboratory under such agreement with respect to any invention only (i) for payments to inventors; (ii) for the purposes described in section 14(a)(1)(B)(i), (ii), and (iv); and (iii) for scientific research and development consistent with the research and development mission and objectives of the laboratory.";
(3) in subsection (c)(3)(A), by striking "employee standards of conduct" and inserting in lieu thereof "standards of conduct for its employees";
(4) in subsection (c)(5)(A), by inserting "presented by the director of a Government-operated laboratory" after "any such agreement";
(5) in subsection (c)(5)(B), by inserting "presented by the director of a Government-operated laboratory" after "an agreement presented";
(6) in subsection (c)(5), by adding at the end of the following new subparagraph: