• Build the Spallation Neutron Source and upgrade existing neutron sources.
• Fully instrument and exploit the existing synchrotron light sources and do R&D on the x-ray laser.
• Build state-of-the-art nanofabrication facilities staffed to run user programs for the benefit of not only the host institutions but also universities, government laboratories, and businesses that do not have such facilities.
• Recapitalize university laboratories with state-of-the-art materials fabrication and characterization equipment.
• Build medium-scale centers devoted to single issues such as high magnetic fields or electron microscopy,
• Exploit the continuing explosion in information technology to visualize and simulate materials.