Cancer Prevention and Detection
- Cancer prevention and detection programs are available to reduce the risk of developing cancer, teach self-examination and symptom identification techniques, provide screening guidelines, and communicate the availability of community resources (e.g., screening mammography) for early detection.
- Cancer patients are provided access to clinical research programs including treatment and cancer prevention and control trials.
- Oncology professionals will uphold a professional code of ethics and conduct as defined by the appropriate governing professional organization.
- Oncology professionals will uphold a professional code of ethics, conduct, and confidentiality as defined by the policies and procedures of their respective employers.
- A mechanism for ethics consults should be available.
- There is an interdisciplinary team approach to planning, implementing, and evaluating the care of cancer patients and their families.
Nutritional Support Services
- A clinical dietitian is available to work with patients and their families, especially those identified as at risk for having nutritional problems or special needs. The dietitian provides dietary guidelines on reducing cancer risk through program materials and services to the community.
Oncology Nursing Services
- Nursing care of the cancer patient is provided by nurses with specialized knowledge and skill in oncology.
- Pastoral care services are available to meet the needs of patients and their families.
- Pharmacy services will purchase, store, and prepare cytotoxic agents in a safe and efficient manner.
- The dispensing of investigational drugs will meet all federal regulations.
- Pharmacy services will store and maintain all investigational cytotoxic agents in a safe and efficient manner.
- Pharmacy and oncology nursing services will prepare extravasation guidelines and drug kits for use by the nursing department.
- Pharmacy services will maintain current information on the safe handling of cytotoxic agents and prepare information for employees involved in preparation and administration of these agents.