Below are the first 10 and last 10 pages of uncorrected machine-read text (when available) of this chapter, followed by the top 30 algorithmically extracted key phrases from the chapter as a whole.
Intended to provide our own search engines and external engines with highly rich, chapter-representative searchable text on the opening pages of each chapter. Because it is UNCORRECTED material, please consider the following text as a useful but insufficient proxy for the authoritative book pages.
Do not use for reproduction, copying, pasting, or reading; exclusively for search engines.
OCR for page 107
NATIONAL RESEARCH COUNCIL COMMISSION ON LIFE SCIENCES 2101 Constitution Avenue Washington, D. C. 2()418 FOOD AND NUTRITION BOARD APPENDIX B: WORKSHOP AGENDA USES OF NATIONAL SURVEY DATA ON FOOD CONSUMPTION National Research Council Washington, D.C. June 6-8, 1983 The workshop will be held in two phases: Phase I - June 6 and 1983 ~ ~ ipants Phase) For both participants and National Research Council committee members. Phase II - June 8, 1983 (Committee Phase) National Research Council committee members attending the workshop will review the material developed during Phase I of the workshop. WORKSHOP PURPOSES: To identify the primary uses of national survey data on food consumption To identify the primary purposes for which persons and/or groups use data To identify the data these persons and/or groups indicate is most needed by them To assess certain surveys: The NFCS (both Household Food Use and Individual Food Intake); the NHANES Dietary Component and other surveys, including the CES in providing the data desired by these persons and/or groups. The National Research Council is the pnnc~pa'opcrat~ng agency of the EJahona! Academy of Sciences and the National Academy of Eng~necnng to serve government and other organizations
OCR for page 108
- 108 - MONDAY, JUNE 6, 1983 -- 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.~. Moderator: Jean-Pierre Habicht 9:00 a.m. Workshop Overview (Room 451) Jean-Pierre Habicht, Chairman Coordinating Committee on Evaluation of Food Consumption Surveys, National Academy of Sciences/National Research Council 9:30 a.m. Panel Discussion (Room 451) Background information and counts on the USDA's Nationwide Food Consumption Survey (both Household Food Use and Individual Dietary Intake Components); the DHHS' Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (Dietary Component); and the Consumer Expenditure Survey of the Department of Labor. Introductory Remarks Manning Feinleib, Director National Center for Health Statistics Department of Health and Human Services National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Robert S. Murphy, Director Division of Health Examination Statistics National Center for Health Statistics Department of Health and H~,m~n Services Nationwide Food Consumption Survey (Household Food Use) Robert L. Rizek, Director Consumer Nutrition Division Human Nutrition Information Service, USDA Nationwide Food Consumption Survey (Individual Dietary Intake) Catherine E. Woteki, Branch Chief Food and Diet Research Branch Human Nutrition Information Service, USDA Consumer Expenditure Survey Eva Jacobs, Chief Division of Living Condition Studies Bureau of Labor Statistics Department of Labor
OCR for page 109
- 109 - 11:30 a.m. Discussion and Comments (Room 451) Conference participants wall have the opportunity to provide inform" comments about their current uses of the survey data. 12:00 NOON Luncheon (provided) Conference Reception Area Fourth Floor Joseph Henry Building 1:00 p.m. Discussion: Working Group Procedures (Room 451) Jean-Pierre Habicht George H. Beaton Richard Havlik of the Coordinating Committee on Evaluation of Food Consumption Surveys Discussants will have the opportunity to provide the workshop with examples of ways of assessing uses of food and nutrient consumption data 1:45 p.m. Working Group Activities (Room as assigned) Working groups will convene in survey uses. 4:30 p.m. Discussion Group Progress Reports (Room 451) _gned conf erence rooms to assess Reconvening in a plenary session to provide an opportunity for the working groups to provide brief progress reports. 5: 00 p . m. Adj ournment
OCR for page 110
- 110 - TUESDAY, JUNE 7, 1983 -- 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. 9:00 a.m. Working Group Activities (Room as assigned) Reconvening of working groups to complete their assessments and prepare their reports 12:00 NOON Luncheon (on your own) A small dining room has been reserved in the second floor Refectory, the Joseph Henry Building for those who wish to remain in the building for lunch. 2 :00 p . m. Reports and Discussion (Room 451) Workshop will reconvene in plenary session to provide the opportu- nity for each working group to discuss its survey assessments and any recommendations it has developed 5 . 00 p. m. Adj ournment
OCR for page 111
- 111 ROSTER FOR WORKSHOP ON USES OF NATIONAL SURVEY DATA ON FOOD CONSUMPTION Speakers George H. Beaton Professor Department of Nutritional Sciences Faculty of Medicine University of Toronto Toronto, Ontario, Canada Manning Feinleib Director, National Center for health Statistics Department of Health and Human Services Hyattsville, MD Jean-Pierre Habicht James Jamison Professor of Nutritional Ep idemiology Division of Nutritional Sciences Cornell University Ithaca, NY Richard Havlik Chief, Clinical and Genetic Epidemiology Section Division of Heart and Vascular Diseases National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute National Institutes of Health Bethesda, MD Joyce Allen Agricultural Economist U.S. Department of Agriculture Washington, D.C. I. J. Abrams Vice President, Market Research Corporation of America Director, Menu Census Service Northbrook, IL Participants Eva Jacobs Chief, Divis ion o f Living Condit ion Studies Bureau of Labor Statistics Department of Labor Washington, D.C. Robert S. Murphy Director, Division of Health Examination Statistics National Center for Health Statistics Department of Health and Human Services Hyattsville, MD Robert L. Rizek, Director Consumer Nutrition Division Human Nutrition Information Service U.S. Department of Agriculture Hyattsville, MD Catherine Woteki Branch Chief, Food and Diet Research Branch Consumer Nutrition Division Human Nutrition Information Service U.~. Departmer.t of Agriculture Hyattsville, MD Howard E. Bauman Vice President, Scientific Affairs The Pillsbury Company Minneapolis, MN John D. Benson Director, Pediatric Nutrition Research Medical Department Ross Laboratories Columbus, OH
OCR for page 112
— 112 - Mark A. Bieber Principal Nutritionist Best Foods, CPC North America Union ~ NJ William P. Butz Associate Director for Demographic Fields U.S. Bureau of the Census Department of Commerce Washington, D.C. Christine Chaisson Deputy Branch Chief, Toxicology Hazard Evaluation Division Office of Pesticide Programs Environmental Protection Agency Washington, D.C. Gus Coccodrilli Laboratory Manager, Nutrition General Foods Corporation Tarrytown, NY Jacob J. Feldman Associate Director for Analysis and Epidemiology National Center for Health Statistics U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Hyattsville, MD Owen Fenema, Professor Department of Food Science University of Wisconsin Madison, WI L. Jack Filer, Jr. Professor of Pediatrics University of Iowa College of Medicine Iowa City, IA Peter Greenwald Director, Division of Resources, Centers and Community Activities National Cancer Institute Bethesda, MD Helen A. Guthrie Professor of Nutrition Department of Nutrition Pennsylvania State University University Park, PA D. Mark Hegsted Associate Director for Research Harvard Medical School New England Regional Primate Center Southborough, MA John Heybach Research Specialist, Nutrition General Foods Corporation Tarrytown, NY Robert E. Landers Director of Nutrition and Toxicology Best Foods, CPC North America Union, NJ Francis Larkin, Professor School of Public Health University 0 f Michigan Ann Arbor, MI Gilbert Martinez Manager, Marketing Research Ross Laboratories Columbus, OH
OCR for page 113
- 113 - Karen J. Morgan, Assistant Professor University of Missouri Department of Human Nutrition Columbia, MO Barbara Petersen Consultant Office of Pesticide Programs Environmental Protection Agency Washington, D.C. Elizabeth Randall, Assistant Professor Human Nutrition Center University of Texas School of Public Health Houston, TX Alvin Riley Manager, Marketing Strategy Campbell US Division Campbell Soup Company Camden, NJ Jean H. Sabry, Professor Department of Family Studies University of Guelph Guelph, Ontario, Canada Horace S. Schwerin Vice-President, Market Planning Campbell US Division Campbell Soup Company Camden, NJ Frederick R. Senti Associate Director Life Sciences Research Off ice Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology Bethesda, MB Merton V. Smith Regulations Staff Officer Bureau of Foods, FDA Washington, D.C. Ann Sorenson Associate Professor Department of Epidemiology Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health Baltimore, MD Kent Stewart Chairman, Department of Food Science and Technology Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Blacksburg, VA Rose Tobelmann, Nutrition Specialist General Mills Nutrition Department Minneapolis, MN John E. Vanderveen Director, Division of Nutrition Bureau of Foods, FDA Washington, D. C . Donald West, Evaluation Specialist PDEMS - Extension Service United States Department of Agriculture Washington, D.C. Elizabeth A. Yetley Nutritionist, Clinical Branch Division of Nutrition Bureau of Foods, FDA Washington, 13. C .
OCR for page 114
- 114 - Observers Gladys Block BORE, DRCCA, NCI National Institutes of Health Bethesda, MD Earl Bryant Director Office of Interview and Examination Statistics National Center for Health Statistics Hyattsville, MD . Jeanne Griffith OIRA, Office of Management and Budget Washington, D.C. Anne Hartman DRCCA/NCI National Institutes of Health Biometrics & Operations Research Branch Bethesda, MD - G. William Hoagland Senate Budget Committee U.S. Senate Washington, D.C. Mary Grace Kovar Office of Interview and Examination Statistics National Center for Health Statistics Hyattsville, MD Grace L. Ostenso Committee on Science and Technology U.S. House of Representatives Washington, D.C. - Robert Reese Branch Chief, Food Consumption Researc Branch Consumer Nutrition Division Human Nutrition Information Service U.S. Department of Agriculture Hyattsville, MD Susan Welch Nutritionist, Food and Diet Research Branch Consumer Nutrition Division H',man Nutrition Information Service U.S. Department of Agriculture Hyattsville, MB
OCR for page 115
- 115 - Resource Persons The persons listed below are resources to the workshop to assure prompt response to questions about the surveys that may arise during working group discussions. Connie Dresser, Home Economist Nutrition Statistics Branch National Center for Health Statistics, DHES Hyattsville, MD Mary Hama, Economist Food Consumption Research Branch Consumer Nutrition Division, USDA Hyattsville, MD Dale Hitchcock, Statistician Survey Planning Development Branch NCHS, DHHS Hyattsville, MD Eleanor M. Pao, Home Economist Food Consumption Research Branch Consumer Nutrition Division, USDA Hyattsville, MD Myrtle L. Brown Executive Secretary, FNB Stephanie C. Crocco Responsible Staff Officer Margaret R. Stewart Consultant Becky Bentz Staff Secretary NAS/NRC Staff Betty Peterkin, Deputy Director Consumer Nutrition Division, USDA Hyattsville, MD Linda Pisati, Research Chemist Nutrition Data Research Branch Consumer Nutrition Division, USDA Hyattsville, MD Jerry Wheeler, Senior Program Planner Division of Health Examination Statistics, DHHS Hyattsville, MD -
OCR for page 116
Representative terms from entire chapter: