Below are the first 10 and last 10 pages of uncorrected machine-read text (when available) of this chapter, followed by the top 30 algorithmically extracted key phrases from the chapter as a whole.
Intended to provide our own search engines and external engines with highly rich, chapter-representative searchable text on the opening pages of each chapter. Because it is UNCORRECTED material, please consider the following text as a useful but insufficient proxy for the authoritative book pages.
Do not use for reproduction, copying, pasting, or reading; exclusively for search engines.
OCR for page 100
100 THE STATE GEOLOGICAL SURVEYS AND SOUTH CAROLINA * ORGANIZATION AND SCOPE OF ACTIVITIES The South Carolina Geological Survey is located at the University of South Carolina., Columbia, South Carolina. Stephen Taber, the head of the Department of Geology in the University, has held the position of State Geologist since his appointment in 1914. There is no governing board. Because of lack of funds, the work of the Survey is largely that of a bureau of information; but some field work has been carried on in connection with graduate courses in the University. The investigations, when completed, have been published in the technical journals. PREVIOUS SURVEY ORGANIZATIONS The first Geological Survey in the State was authorized by the Legis- lature in 1824. It was known as the Geological and Mineralogical Survey of South Carolina, and Lardner Vanuxem was in charge. The report of this Survey was published in the newspapers of the State in 1826, and later in Mills, statistics of South Carolina and in Tuomey's report on the Geology of South Carolina. This was the first geological report is- sued by any state in America. The second Survey was under Edmund Ruin, as State Geologist, who published a report of the Commencement and Progress of the Agricul- tural Survey of South Carolina. in 1843. The third Survey, under Michael Tuomey, resulted in the publication of a Report of the Geological and Agricultural Survey of the State of South Carolina, in 1844, and a Report on the Geology of South Carolina, in 1848. The fourth Survey continued from 1856 to 1860 with Oscar M. Lieber as State Geologist, the publications consisting of four annual reports to the general assembly which appeared in the years 1856, 1858, 185D, and 1860. The fifth Survey was established under an act approved February 2l, 1901. Mr. Earle Sloan was made State Geologist and served until 1911. The offices of the Survey were then in Charleston. Following the resigna- tion of Mr. Sloan, Dr. M. W. Twitchell, Professor of Geology in the University of South Carolina, was appointed State Geologist and the Survey was moved to Columbia, where it has since remained. Doctor Twitchell resigned in 1912, and Stephen Taber was made Professor of Ge- ology in the University. In 1914 the office of State Geologist was com- bined with the position of Head of the Department of Geology at the University of South Carolina. *Information furnished by Stephen Taber, State Geologist, April, 1929, and March, 1932.