Below are the first 10 and last 10 pages of uncorrected machine-read text (when available) of this chapter, followed by the top 30 algorithmically extracted key phrases from the chapter as a whole.
Intended to provide our own search engines and external engines with highly rich, chapter-representative searchable text on the opening pages of each chapter. Because it is UNCORRECTED material, please consider the following text as a useful but insufficient proxy for the authoritative book pages.
Do not use for reproduction, copying, pasting, or reading; exclusively for search engines.
OCR for page 93
THE UNITED STATES GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 93 OKLAHOMA ~ The Oklahoma Geological Survey was created by the first legislature of the State of Oklahoma in 1908. The Survey offices were located in the Geology Building, University of Oklahoma, at Norman. These offices were officially closed on July I, 1931, because no funds were supplied by the State to operate the Geological Survey. In order that the excellent record of the Oklahoma Geological Survey during the period covered by this bulletin may be made known, the fol- lowing report prepared by Dr. C. N. Gould in 1929 is being presented with such revision as has been made necessary by recent changes. SCOPE OF ACTIVITIES The Survey is authorized by law to investigate, map, and make reports on, the various mineral resources of the State; to call the attention of the world to these resources; and to study and collect information on the geology of Oklahoma. Although a large part of the work of the Survey has had to do with economic geology, a considerable amount of purely scientific work has been done. ORGANIZATION The Oklahoma Geological Survey, when in operation, was under the control of the President of the University of Oklahoma, who, in turn, was responsible to the University Board of Regents; but the administra- tion of the Survey was left entirely to the Director. Charles N. Gould, Director, was appointed by the Board of Regents in 1924. He had also been the first Director, having organized the Survey in 1908, and having continued until 1911 when he resigned to enter private work. The Director gave his full time to the work of the Survey, the salary being determined by the Board of Regents and the President of the University. The clerical staff of the Survey included one full-time private secre- tary and six part-time college students, some of whom were in the draft- ing department. The geologic staff had one chief geologist and two as- sistant geologists who worked full time, and one research observer provided by the American Petroleum Institute. During the summer field season, two to six college professors were usually employed to work on special problems. The Geological Survey, for administrative purposes, was classed as a department of the University with the Director ranking as a Dean. * Information furnished by C. N. Gould, Director, April, 192D, and reprised March, 1932.
OCR for page 93
94 THE STATE GEOLOGICAL SURVEYS AND Under present conditions, the University has provided for a custodian to look after the property, and a student assistant to fill orders for reports. APPROPRIATIONS All funds for the Oklahoma Geological Survey were provided by ap- propriations from the Legislature, the amounts for the fiscal years 1927- 28 and 1928-29 being $4b,000 per year, and for the two previous years, $2b,000 per year. The appropriations were made for two-year periods, but were not necessarily divided into equal amounts for each of the two years. The $4b,000 appropriation for the year 1928-29 was expended ap proximately as follows: Administrative and routine clerical work, 22 per cent. Topographic work, 3 per cent. Geologic work, 4S per cent. Geographic work, 3 per cent. Road materials, water investigations, statistics, etc., 5 per cent. Printing Survey publications, 22 per cent. In 1931, no appropriation was made and the Survey is, therefore, temporarily at least, inoperative. PUBLICATIONS The reports of the Survey have been published as bulletins or.circu- lars. The total number of bulletins issued to 1929 was 47, including the Bulletin 40 series on Oil and Gas Geology of Oklahoma, for which some 35 chapters were issued as separates. The circulars issued number 18. In addition to these, there have been a number of miscellaneous pamphlets and maps for general distribution and a few special mimeo~,ra.phed re- ports. Practically all of these reports have to do with the geology and mineral resources of Oklahoma.. During the year 1928-29, the Survey printing fund was inadequate, and a twenty-five per cent increase was requested for the ensuing two years. PRINCIPAL ACCOMPLISHMENTS SINCE 1911 Practically all the work of the Oklahoma Geological Survey has been accomplished since 1911, as the Survey was not organized until 1908. In 1929 the Survey was completing a series of county reports on the oil and gas geology of the State, carrying on work in the mapping of coal fields, and making chemical analyses of the various coals of the