BOX 3-2 North Carolina Content Standards in Mathematics
GRADE 4—MATHEMATICS COMPETENCY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- Addition, subtraction, and multiplication with multi-digit numbers
- Division with single-digit divisors
- Points, lines, angles, and transformations in geometry
- Non-numeric symbols to represent quantities
- Range, median, and mode
- Bar, picture, and circle graphs; stem-and-leaf plots and line plots
- Students will create and solve relevant and authentic problems using appropriate technology and applying these concepts as well as those developed in previous years.
Computational Skills to Maintain
- Use counting strategies
- Add and subtract multi-digit numbers
- Read and write word names for numbers
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication facts/tables
- Identify, explain, and apply the commutative and identity properties for multiplication and addition
Number Sense, Numeration, and Numerical Operations
Goal 1: The learner will read, write, model, and compute with rational numbers.
1.01 Read and write numbers less than one million using standard and expanded notation.
1.02 Use estimation techniques in determining solutions to problems.
1.03 Model and identify the place value of each digit in a multi-digit numeral to the hundredths place.
1.04 Model, identify, and compare rational numbers (fractions and mixed numbers).
1.05 Identify and compare rational numbers in decimal form (tenths and hundredths) using models and pictures.
1.06 Relate decimals and fractions (tenths and hundredths) to each other using models and pictures.
1.07 Use models and pictures to add and subtract decimals, explaining the processes and recording results.
1.08 Use models and pictures to add and subtract rational numbers with like denominators.
1.09 Find the fractional part of a whole number using models and pictures.
1.10 Model and explain associative and distributive properties.
1.11 Memorize the division facts related to the multiplication facts/tables through 10.
1.12 Identify missing factors in multiplication facts.
1.13 Round rational numbers to the nearest whole number and justify.
1.14 Estimate solutions to problems.