National Coordinating Council for Medication Error Reporting and Prevention
National Committee for Quality Assurance
National Institutes of Health
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
National Occupational Research Agenda
National Patient Safety Foundation
National Transportation Safety Board
Office of Post-Marketing Drug Risk Assessment
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
pediatric intensive care unit
point of service
preferred provider organization
peer review organization
Quality Improvement Organization
Quality Interagency Coordinating Committee
Veterans Health Administration
1. Perrow, Charles. Normal Accidents. New York: Basic Books; 1984.
2. Reason, James T. Human Error. Cambridge, MA: Cambridge University Press; 1990.
3. Bates, David W.; Spell, Nathan; Cullen, David J., et al. The Costs of Adverse Drug Events in Hospitalized Patients. JAMA. 277:307–311, 1997.
4. Weinger, Matthew B.; Pantiskas, Carl; Wiklund, Michael, et al. Incorporating Human Factors into the Design of Medical Devices. JAMA. 280(17): 1484, 1998.
5. Institute of Medicine. Assessing Medical Technologies. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1985.
6. Institute of Medicine. Medicare: A Strategy for Quality Assurance, Volume II. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1990.
7. Institute of Medicine, 1990.
8. American Society for Testing and Materials, www.astm.org/FAQ/3.html.