The National Research Council publication Research-Doctorate Programs in the United States: Continuity and Change contains a wealth of information on 3,634 programs in 41 fields at 274 universities that participated in a comprehensive study of the research-doctorate enterprise. Behind these data is a much larger information set containing details on
- Over 88,000 faculty members participating in the programs.
- Approximately 1 million publication, citation, and research grant records of the faculty members.
- Individual scores on the 16,000 questionnaires for the reputational survey of faculty quality and program effectiveness.
- Data from a similar study in 1982.
- And many variables not included in the published volume. These data are now available on a CD-ROM. From the data, it is possible to analyze characteristics of the raters, reputational scores for a program under various constraints, and many other interesting aspects of the faculty, programs, and institutions in the study.
For flexibility and convenience, data on the CD-ROM are in both ANSI, as flat files, and in SAS format. Format: ISO 9660/PC, Mac, UNIX
National Research Council. 1995. Research Doctorate Programs in the United States: Data Set (CD-ROM). Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/5305.
Import this citation to:
Table of Contents
| skim chapter
The National Academies Press and the Transportation Research Board have partnered with Copyright Clearance Center to offer a variety of options for reusing our content. You may request permission to:
- Republish or display in another publication, presentation, or other media
- Use in print or electronic course materials and dissertations
- Share electronically via secure intranet or extranet
- And more
For most Academic and Educational uses no royalties will be charged although you are required to obtain a license and comply with the license terms and conditions.
Click here to obtain permission for Research Doctorate Programs in the United States: Data Set (CD-ROM).
Translation and Other Rights
For information on how to request permission to translate our work and for any other rights related query please click here.
Copyright.com Customer Service
For questions about using the Copyright.com service, please contact:
Copyright Clearance Center
22 Rosewood Drive
Danvers, MA 01923
Tel (toll free): 855/239-3415 (select option 1)