The statement of task for the study (Box 1-1) listed tasks for each of the three phases of the study. Included as the last task for Phase III of the study was a request for the committee to document in its final report “other issues regarding body armor testing that the committee found relevant.”
In response, this final report addresses the following additional tasks not specifically set forth in the task statement:
- Provides a roadmap for reducing the variability of clay processes and for migrating from clay to future solutions.
- Considers the use of statistics to permit a more scientific determination of sample sizes to be used in body armor testing. Specifically, the committee was requested to review a statistically based protocol that had been developed by Office of the Director, Operational Test and Evaluation with assistance from Army statisticians and testers.
- Develops ideas for revising/replacing the Prather study methodology.
- Within the time and funding available, reviews and comments on methodologies and technical approaches to military helmet testing.
- Considers the possibility of combining various national body armor testing standards.