The Chemical Sciences Roundtable will hold a one-day public workshop on May 31, 2012, in Washington, DC, that will explore the current state of sustainable fuels and chemicals, and the issues surrounding their scalability for large-scale use. The workshop will also discuss the chemistry and chemical engineering opportunities to sustainably produce large-scale quantities of biofuel. Both formal presentations and working groups will be components of the workshop in an effort to stimulate engaging discussion among participants from widely varying fields.
Key questions to be addressed include
- What is the current state of technology in large-scale production of sustainable fuels and chemicals?
- What are the benefits and weaknesses of current technologies?
- What are the technological and commercial barriers to scaling up sustainable technologies?
- How can we best combine chemical technologies of different scales to maximize impact?
- How can we identify ways in which technologies of different practical scales can complement each other?
This page intentionally left blank.